Ka. Naa. Subramanyam
|Ka. Na. Subramaniam|
31 January 1912|
Valangaiman, Thanjavur district, Tamilnadu
December 18, 1988 76) (aged|
Subramaniam was born in Valangaiman in Thanjavur District. His first noted published work was the novel Poithevu (1946). He also wrote poems using the pseudonym Mayan. He published many literary journals like Ilakkiya vattam, Sooravali and Chandraodayam. He became a literary critic in the 1950s. His reviews first appeared in the magazines Swadesamitran and Saraswathi. He was a friend and contemporary of fellow literary critic C. S. Chellappa with whom he was involved in a long literary feud. He was considered as a rightwinger and Anti-Marxist by left leaning Tamil writers. In 1965, he moved to New Delhi and started writing articles for English language newspapers. For the next twenty years he lived in Delhi and moved back to Chennai only in 1985. In 1986, he was awarded the Sahitya Akademi Award for Tamil for his literary criticism Ilakkiyathukku oru Iyakkam (lit. A Movement for Literature). After his return to Chennai, he started writing for Tamil magazines like Kungumam, Mutharam, Dina mani Kathir and Thuglak. Pondicherry University made him an honorary professor. He died in 1988. The Government of Tamil Nadu nationalised his works in 2006.
Awards and recognitions
- Sahitya Akademi Award (1986)
- Government of Tamil Nadu award for the short story Kodhai Sirithaal
- Kumaran Asan award
- Sarmavin uyil
- Vaazhvum thaazhvum
- Sakthi vilasam
- Ezhu per
- Oru naal
- Puzhithi ther
Short story collections
- Karugadha mottu
- Vimarsana kalai
- Ulagathu sirandha novelgal
- Ilakkiya Visaaram
- Thabaal kaaran
- Vilangupannai (Animal Farm)
- ,"எழுத்துக் கவிஞர்கள்". Thamizhstudio (in Tamil). Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- Tamil Sahitya Akademi Awards 1955-2007 Sahitya Akademi Official website.
- Mohan, C. நடைவழிக் குறிப்புகள் . அகரம் வெளியீடு.
- "Ka. Naa. Su Profile". Tamil Authors.com. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- "க.நா. சுப்ரமணியம்(1912-1988)". Encyclopedia of Tamil criticism (in Tamil). University of Kerala. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- "Literary feuds". Andhimazhai (in Tamil). Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- "க.நா.சு. உருவாக்கிய புரட்சி". Uyirmmai (in Tamil). Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- "நாட்டுடமையான 3 தமிழறிஞர் படைப்புகள்". OneIndia (in Tamil). Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- Subramanyam, Ka. Naa. (1987). Tiruvalluvar and his Tirukkural (1 ed.). New Delhi: Bharatiya Jnanpith.