Marissa van der Merwe
|Full name||Marissa Stander|
30 August 1978|
Pretoria, South Africa
|Height||1.68 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||57 kg (126 lb)|
|2011||Lotto Honda Team|
Infobox last updated on|
October 6, 2013
Marissa Stander (born August 30, 1978 in Pretoria) is a retired South African professional road cyclist. She has awarded two South African championship titles each in both road race and time trial, and later represented her nation South Africa at the 2008 Summer Olympics. Marissa also raced for the nation's MTN Cycling team before her official retirement in 2011.
Marissa made her official debut at the 2007 All-Africa Games in Algiers, Algeria, where she won the silver medal in the women's road race with a final time of 2:00:54, finishing behind her teammate Yolandi du Toit.
At the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, Marissa qualified for the South African squad in the women's road race by receiving one of the nation's two available berths from the UCI World Cup. She successfully completed a grueling race with a thirty-fourth-place effort in 3:33:17, surpassing Great Britain's Sharon Laws and the Netherlands' Mirjam Melchers by a few inches. On that same year, Marissa earned the women's time trial title in her first and only attempt at the South African Championships in East London.
- 2nd South African Championships (Road), Port Elizabeth (RSA)
- 2nd All-Africa Games, Algiers (ALG)
- 2nd South African Championships (Road), South Africa
- 3rd South African Championships (ITT), South Africa
- 1st South African Championships (ITT), East London (RSA)
- 34th Olympic Games (Road), Beijing (CHN)
- 3rd South African Championships (ITT), Oudtshoorn (RSA)
- 1st South African Championships (Road), Port Elizabeth (RSA)
- "Marissa van der Merwe". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Van der Merwe is new SA Women's Road Champ". Cycling South Africa. 5 February 2011. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- Westermeyer, Susan (18 November 2007). "MTN adds pro women's road team". Cycling News. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- Morgan, Brad (8 August 2008). "Team SA set for Olympic assault". South Africa Info. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "Marissa boosts Olympic hopes". SuperSport. 5 May 2008. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Women's Road Race". Beijing 2008. NBC Olympics. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Cooke weathers storm to take Olympic gold". Velo News. 10 August 2008. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "Top SA cyclist primed for African champs success". Club 100 Sandton Cycling. 6 November 2008. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- NBC Olympics Profile
- Marissa van der Merwe profile at Cycling Archives