Ahmed with the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2015
|Arizona Diamondbacks – No. 13|
Born: March 15, 1990|
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
|June 29, 2014, for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
|MLB statistics |
(through July 24, 2016)
|Runs batted in||58|
Ahmed attended East Longmeadow High School in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, where he played as a pitcher, was a member of the National Honor Society, and also played basketball. At East Longmeadow, he earned numerous honors and posted a career record of 21-3 as a pitcher. He then enrolled at the University of Connecticut, where he majored in sport management and played shortstop and pitcher for the Connecticut Huskies baseball team. As a freshman, he batted .288 and .300 as a sophomore, and played for the Bourne Braves of the Cape Cod Baseball League during the summer of his sophomore year. As a junior, Ahmed hit .326.
The Atlanta Braves drafted Ahmed in the second round of the 2011 Major League Baseball Draft, 85th overall. He played in minor league baseball for the Lynchburg Hillcats in 2012, and was named fastest baserunner in the league by Baseball America. After the 2012 season, the Braves traded Ahmed, Martin Prado, Randall Delgado, Zeke Spruill, and Brandon Drury to the Diamondbacks for Justin Upton and Chris Johnson.
Ahmed has a younger brother, Michael, who played college baseball for the Holy Cross Crusaders and was selected in the 20th round (604th overall) of the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft by the Los Angeles Dodgers. His uncle, Raphael Cerrato, is the head baseball coach at the University of Rhode Island. Ahmed is married to Amanda.
- "7 Nick Ahmed". UConn Baseball. 2015. Retrieved July 5, 2015.
- Piecoro, Nick (March 17, 2015). "Arizona Diamondbacks' Nick Ahmed looking to show big-league bat". AZ Central. Retrieved July 5, 2015.
- Larsen, Ben (October 13, 2012). "East Longmeadow's Nick Ahmed has solid year in Single A". The Republican. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Tompkins, Jules (April 3, 2015). "'Underdog' Nick Ahmed to start at shortstop for 2015 Arizona Diamondbacks". Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. Retrieved July 5, 2015.
- Baum, Bob (January 24, 2013). "East Longmeadow's Nick Ahmed headed to Arizona Diamondbacks organization in Justin Upton trade". Associated Press. The Republican. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- McCaffrey, Jen (June 30, 2014). "East Longmeadow's Nick Ahmed makes major league debut with Arizona Diamondbacks". MassLive. Retrieved July 5, 2015.
- "Mike Ahmed Drafted By Los Angeles Dodgers". College of the Holy Cross. June 8, 2013. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- "18 - Raphael Cerrato". University of Rhode Island. Retrieved July 11, 2015.
- Volain, Mark C. (May 6, 2016). "East Longmeadow major leaguer Nick Ahmed on faith: God wants to 'walk with me every day'". The Republican. Retrieved August 21, 2016.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Nick Ahmed on Twitter