|Coordinates: 6°51′50″N 79°53′56″E / 6.86389°N 79.89889°ECoordinates: 6°51′50″N 79°53′56″E / 6.86389°N 79.89889°E|
|Time zone||Sri Lanka Standard Time Zone (UTC+5:30)|
Nugegoda is a large, densely populated suburb of Colombo, Sri Lanka. It is in the border of Sri Jayawardenapura Municipal Council Limits and Dehiwela Mt. Lavinia Municipal Council Limits, just outside Colombo City Limits. Central Nugegoda is a collection of densely packed shops and mixed residential areas.
Nugegoda was a small town a few decades ago but has seen a high degree of growth and development recently. In the 1960s there were already several established stores along the main street, known then as Church Road. It was renamed Stanley Tilekeratne Mawatha after the popular politician in the 1970s during the wave of Sinhala nationalisation and when the road was widened to accommodate the increased traffic. Nugegoda had its own cinema house and was also a major train station along what was the Kelani Valley line - one of the last active single gauge train lines. There has been a huge increase in buildings and a great reduction in trees and green areas. Agricultural lands like paddy fields (still present in the early 1990s) have largely been used for building and development. At present, a number of educational institutes are found here, such as St.John's College-Nugegoda, Anula Vidyalaya, Samudradevi Balika Maha Vidhyalaya (originally St John's Girls' School), Sakya Institute and the Infamous Rotary Tuition Classes.
On 29 November 2007, more than 25 civilians were killed and more than 50 were injured when a bomb believed to be planted by members of the LTTE terrorist group exploded outside a clothing store at a traffic junction near Nugegoda. The Defence Ministry said shops and several private vehicles were damaged, and the hospital spokeswoman said more casualties were feared.
A newly created flyover has been constructed and open for public usage on 23 January 2009. The first stage is directed towards Maharagama - Colombo. The Government says the second stage will be started in the near future.
Nugegoda is a consumer hotspot especially during the festive seasons. Nugegoda is also famous for its high quality cloth stores near the famous Bogaha Junction in the Highlevel Road which sits besides a famed Bo tree. Nugegoda is also the hub city of Sri Lanka's number one book store chain Sarasavi Bookshop. The Nugegoda "Pola" is one of the major markets in Sri Lanka full of various vegetables, fruits, fish & meats, it's active throughout the week. The "Sathi Pola" in the Delkanda borough is probably one of the most acclaimed markets in Sri Lanka. The weekly market takes place on every Sunday besides the Highlevel road and has any agricultural product one can ask for.
The Mirihana borough hosts the Mirihana Police Station which host the Communication Division HQ of Sri Lanka Police as well as the offices of DIG Western Province South and SSP Nugegoda.
The Open University of Sri Lanka is situated in the borough of Nawala and Nugegoda also hosts University of Sri Jayewardenepura one of the leading universities in the island. There are many schools located in this area.
- Anula Vidyalaya
- St. Joseph's Girls' School
- St. John's College
- St. Joseph's Boys' College
- Mahamaya Balika Vidyalaya
- Royal Institute International School
- Lyceum International School
- Louvre International School
- Western College for Management & Technology (Pvt) Ltd
Samudradevi Balika Vidyalaya
Samudradevi Balika Vidyalaya, started in 1915. Samudradevi Balika Vidyalaya is the oldest girls' school in Nugegoda. Samudradevi Balika Vidyalaya was started as St John's Mixes school with 14 pupils on May 5, 1915. In 1934, the mixes school was separated into Girls' and Boys' schools. The girls' school was known as st John's Girls' School and boys' school was known as St John's boys' college. The schools were under the church of SS Mary and John, Nugegoda. In the 1950s the government took over the schools making them state schools.
The girls' school had both English and Sinhala medium classes. There was a Tamil stream as well but the classes were initially at the boys' school and then transferred to a building adjacent to the Church. It became a separate school and was called Tamil Maha Vidyalaya. In 1963 under the government re-organisation of schools, all English medium classes were transferred to st Joseph's Convent. It was a very sad time for many of the pupils and teachers who loved St John's. St John's was renamed Samudradevi Ballika Vidyalaya and became a swabasha only school.
- Mrs. Grace Aldons
- Miss. Jayasekera
- Mrs. B. L. Jayathunga
- Mrs. Padmini Fonseka
- Mrs. L. B. Walaliyadde
- Mrs. Rani Fernando
- Mrs. I. Siriwardena
- Mrs.Lorna Kumaratunga
- Mrs. M.K. Perera
- Mrs. P. Kalubovila
- Mrs. W.S. Ranasinghe