Sam Webster (cyclist)
16 July 1991|
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||183 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||80 kg (180 lb; 13 st)|
|3x Junior World Champion 2009, 2 gold medals at 2014 glasgow commonwealth games.|
Sam Webster (born 16 July 1991) is a New Zealand track cyclist. He was the 2009 sprint, keirin and team sprint World Champion at the Junior World Championships and New Zealand national track cycling champion. He won gold medals at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in the individual sprint and the team sprint.
Born in Auckland in 1991, Webster attended Auckland Grammar School. Webster is a track cyclist competing in a variety of sprint disciplines. His palmarès include a gold medal at the January 2009 Australian Youth Olympic Festival in the men's sprint. At the Junior World Championship in August 2009 in Moscow, he won gold in the team sprint, Keirin and sprint. From the Junior World Championships, he moved into the elite category. Webster is a member of the New Zealand team sprint team that has made the consistent climb at the World Championships, from Bronze in 2012 (Melbourne), Silver in 2013 (Minsk) and Gold in 2014 (Cali, Colombia), claiming their first World Champions rainbow jersey in the elite ranks.
At the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, Webster raced his way to Bronze in the sprint and Silver in the team sprint but suffered a big crash in the team sprint in the race for gold. He was the reserve for the New Zealand sprint team at the 2012 London Olympics. At the 2016 Rio Olympics, he won alongside Eddie Dawkins and Ethan Mitchell a silver medal in the team sprint and came 12th in the individual sprint. He is yet to compete in the Keirin event.
- 1st Sprint, 2009 UCI Juniors Track World Championships
- 1st Keirin, 2009 UCI Juniors Track World Championships
- 1st Team Sprint, 2009 UCI Juniors Track World Championships
- 2nd Keirin, Oceania Cycling Championships
- 3rd Team sprint, Oceania Cycling Championships
- 1st Sprintmeeting, Cottbus (August)
- 1st Sprintmeeting, Dudenhofen (September)
- 1st Sprintmeeting, Darmstadt (September)
- 2nd Team Sprint, 2010 Commonwealth Games
- 2nd Team Sprint, UCI World Cup Classics, Melbourne
- 3rd Team Sprint, UCI World Cup Classics, Cali
- 3rd Sprint, 2010 Commonwealth Games
- 3rd Keirin, New Zealand National Championships
- 6th Keirin, UCI World Track Championships, Copenhagen
- 1st Team Sprint, UCI World Track Championships, Cali
- 1st Sprint, Commonwealth Games 2014, Glasgow
- 1st Team Sprint, Commonwealth Games 2014, Glasgow
- Archibald, Matt (9 June 2011). "Matt Archibald's German Diary". Cycling Southland.
- "New Cycling Club for Auckland". Cycling New Zealand. 2009-10-17.
- "Australian Youth Olympic Festival 2009 Australian Youth Olympic Festival". New Zealand Olympic Committee. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Sam Webster 12th in individual sprint". Newshub. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Sam Webster". New Zealand Olympic Committee. Retrieved 16 August 2016.