Wellington Township, Lorain County, Ohio
|Wellington Township, Lorain County, Ohio|
The Sprague House south of Wellington
Location of Wellington Township in Lorain County
|Coordinates: 41°10′N 82°13′W / 41.167°N 82.217°WCoordinates: 41°10′N 82°13′W / 41.167°N 82.217°W|
|• Total||22.6 sq mi (58.4 km2)|
|• Land||22.5 sq mi (58.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||846 ft (258 m)|
|• Density||262.7/sq mi (101.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086523|
Wellington Township is one of the eighteen townships of Lorain County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 5,904 people in the township, 1,393 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in southern Lorain County, it borders the following townships:
- Pittsfield Township - north
- LaGrange Township - northeast corner
- Penfield Township - east
- Spencer Township, Medina County - southeast corner
- Huntington Township - south
- Rochester Township - southwest corner
- Brighton Township - west
- Camden Township - northwest corner
The village of Wellington is located in central Wellington Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lorain County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 14 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.