Fukagawa in the evening
Location in Tokyo
|Coordinates: 35°40′33″N 139°47′46″E / 35.67583°N 139.79611°E|
|• Total||0.22 km2 (0.08 sq mi)|
|Population (August 2015)|
After losing about 60 percent of the city in the Great Fire of Meireki of 1657, the shogunate ordered for Buddhist temples on the east bank of the Sumida river, and on both the north and west banks of the Onagi River, to be relocated. At the time, this area was occupied mainly by fishermen, with a population of just over a thousand. In 1695, it officially became the town "Fukagawa-Sagamachi."
Sagamachi was a place full of granaries storing rice and grains. The large quantity of these granaries lead to Sagamachi developing into a center for grains trade. Up until World War II, it was known to some as Tokyo's largest grain market. Later, the construction of bridges along the Sumida River (which had been previously prohibited for security purposes) allowed greater access to the area. Sagamachi became a gateway for the neighboring towns of Monzen-machi, and a red-light district developed.
In 1947, Fukagawa was incorporated into the ward of Koto, together with Suginami.