Gujarat International Finance Tec-City
|Gujarat International Finance Tec-City|
Gujarat International Finance Tec-City
Gujarat International Finance Tec-City
Location in Gujarat, India
|Coordinates: 23°09′35″N 72°41′04″E / 23.159626°N 72.684512°ECoordinates: 23°09′35″N 72°41′04″E / 23.159626°N 72.684512°E|
|Founded by||Narendra Modi|
|• Body||Gujarat International Finance Tec-City Company Limited|
|• Total||3.99 km2 (1.54 sq mi)|
|• Official||Gujarati, Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Gujarat International Finance Tec-City or GIFT is an under-construction central business district between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar in the Indian state of Gujarat. It will be built on 359 hectares (886 acres) of land. Its main purpose is to provide high quality physical infrastructure (electricity, water, gas, district cooling, roads, telecoms and broadband), so that finance and tech firms can relocate their operations there from Mumbai, Bangalore, Gurgaon etc. where infrastructure is either inadequate or very expensive. It will have a special economic zone (SEZ), international education zone, integrated townships, an entertainment zone, hotels, a convention center, an international techno park, Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) units, shopping malls, stock exchanges and service units.
To develop and implement the project, government of Gujarat (GOG) through its undertaking Gujarat Urban Development Company Limited (GUDCOL) and Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services (IL&FS) have established a Joint Venture Company, "Gujarat International Finance Tec-City Company Limited" (GIFTCL). The estimated cost of the entire project is Rs. 70,000 crore.
GIFTCL proposes to implement GIFT with an eventual built-on area of 7,900,000 m2 (85,000,000 sq ft). The company plans to develop, finance, implement all infrastructure in and around GIFT on a turnkey basis to ensure that all conceivable services in relation to connectivity, communication, technology, security, services for quality of life etc. are established and sustained.
Currently, two 29-floor commercial towers have been completed with development of truck infrastructure now underway for further development.
Centrally located in the state of Gujarat, between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar, on the bank of river Sabarmati, having geographical coordinates 23°9’26’’N 72°41’12’’E. The city lies in the influence zone of the ongoing $90 billion Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor Project.
The site is 18 km (11 mi) from the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport and 8 km (5.0 mi) from Gandhinagar and is located close to Gujarat National Law University and the Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar. The site abuts a four lane National Highway (NH8) which connects Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar on its eastern side. The Sabarmati river demarcates the western boundary of the Project site.
The idea of GIFT was developed during the Vibrant Gujarat Global Investor Summit 2007 and is being planned by East China Architectural Design & Research Institute (ECADI), which is responsible for planning much of modern-day Shanghai, and Fairwood Consultants India.
The 1000MW electricity supply is planned to be 99.999% reliable (about 5.3 minutes of outage per year). GIFT's power grid will be designed by ABB Group of Switzerland. All the electricity cables will be underground. Hong Kong Electric Company is 99.998% reliable since 1998.
Natural Gas will be distributed to every house and building via pipes, which is cheaper and safer than cylinders. Gas supply to the city will be made from the existing gas network of GSPL, the state-owned company for gas transmission pipelines. Piped natural gas is already in distribution in the nearby cities of Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar.
GIFT will have a centralized air conditioning system called District cooling, which is cheaper to run and uses less electricity.
Solid Waste Management
All waste will be automatically sucked through underground pipes at a high speed of 90 km/h (56 mph), and will be treated through plasma gasification.
GIFT aims at providing a transportation network that ensures accessibility, easy and fast mobility and few accidental road deaths. This would be achieved by:
2. Using a walk-to-work concept as part of urban planning with a nodal split of 10:90 between private and public transport.
3. Use of electric personal rapid transit systems within the city.
- GIFT Diamond Tower
- GIFT Gateway Towers - will be located in the main avenue of the city. It would have elaborate terrace gardens and a rooftop restaurant. The towers draw inspiration from Buland Darwaza. It will have a total 680,000 square metres (7,300,000 sq ft) built up space.
- GIFT Crystal Towers - With a total 790,000 square metres (8,500,000 sq ft) built up area, four Crystal Towers will overlook the Sabarmati River.
- GIFT Convention Centre - Inspired by the structure of Salt crystals and Mahatma Gandhi's Dandi March, the convention centre would have an opera and have a seating capacity of 10,000. The centre would have total built up area of 600,000 square metres (6,500,000 sq ft).
- World Trade Centre, GIFT City
- Term sheet has been executed with anchor investor for development of two building packages; - Formal approval for multi service Special Economic Zone received from Ministry of Commerce, Government of India; - Master Planning and Concept design has been undertaken; - Detailed proposal for external connectivity (by road) has been completed in consultation with Roads & Building Department. For other external connectivity viz Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS) and Metro Rapid Transit System (MRTS), detailed discussions are in progress with Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) and Gujarat Infrastructure Development Board (GIDB) respectively. - Other important studies viz. Market Assessment study, Talent Assessment and Skill Set Analysis study have been completed; - GUDC is designated as Area Development Authority for the GIFT Project; - In principle approval received from SSNNL for allotment of domestic water; - Partnership MoU has been signed with CISCO for Operationalizing GIFT ICT; - Fencing of the project site and access to the site has been provided by construction of peripheral earthen roads; - Major approvals viz. Environmental Clearance for the Project and height clearance for part of Phase-1 has been received; - Construction activities at site viz leveling and dressing have been initiated; Phase-1 is expected to commence in the later part of this year and would be completed in 3–5 years. Subsequent phases would be implemented thereafter.
Government has completed land acquisition of 272 hectares (673 acres) of land for this project. Presently land leveling activities are going on just next to the Sabarmati river. Works like four lane road, gutter line, water, I.T. broadband cables and power installations will follow this.
The permissions that are obtained so far include GUDA master plan, central Civil Aviation department’s clearance, environmental clearance, and micro-zoning. The government has taken a decision to allow highest 3.65 FSI in GIFT city. The central government has granted SEZ permission to GIFT city. Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation has granted permission for phase-3 of BRTS as part of transportation facility in BRTS. Gujarat Infrastructure Development Board has granted permission for MRTS.
According to officials close to the development, the process of issuing Rs. 200 crore worth of tenders is in advance stage. While Rs. 7,000 crore budget is needed to create all facilities, the government is likely to pump in Rs. 1,000 crore in next three years.
GUDA has been handed over about 272 hectares (673 acres) of land for land development. Government has prepared 11 types of study reports including a report on earth quake proof construction. 1 km long and 7 meter deep Sant Sarovar is being developed to provide water to proposed GIFT city and its construction.
As part of Phase-I development, around 780,000 square metres (8.4×106 sq ft) of BUA has already been allotted from the 1,200,000 square metres (13×106 sq ft) of BUA (built-up area) available for commercial, residential and social uses.
In the recent allotment in Feb 2014, Chief executive officer of New York-based World Trade Centers Association (WTCA), Eric Dahl received an "allotment letter" to build one at the GIFT City project at Gandhinagar, where the association will invest over Rs 600 crore along with an Indian partner VIRIDIAN GROUP.
World Trade Centre, GIFT City for financial & allied services along with the Viridian Group which is coming up about eight WTCs including those in Noida and Chandigarh. The centre will connect businesses around 343 locations worldwide. The cities of Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, Kochi, Mumbai, etc. have their own WTCs. Construction work under progress.
Two commercial towers, each of 29 floors called the GIFT ONE and GIFT TWO have been finished. Tendering for the next bunch of towers is going on. This phase will also include building up of basic infrastructure.
The second phase includes further construction of buildings and development of services.
The third phase's planned period for construction and commencement of the fully built city is 2020-2023.
The fourth phase, termed "The Enpeoplement", fills the planned city with humans to experience commerce and labour.
- Design and Architecture - East China Architectural Design & Research Institute (ECADI) and Fairwood Consultants India
- ICT Advisory Services - British Telecom
- Market Demand Assessment - McKinsey & Company
- Talent Demand Assessment - Hewitt Associates
- Environmental Assessment - IL&FS Ecosmart Ltd
- Process Management - IL&FS Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd
- ICT Management - Cisco Systems International
- Power Management - ABB Group
- GoG has earmarked 886 acres of land for GIFT Project, out of 886 Acre;673 Acre of land is in possession of GIFT.
- IL&FS Township & Urban Asset Limited (ITUAL) has taken 7.77 mn sq ft of Built Up Area (BUA) in Phase I of GIFT Projec.
- Inauguration of "GIFT ONE" Gujarat's tallest tower in GIFT CITY by Hon'ble Chief Minister GOG, on January 10, 2013.
- Foundation stone Laying by Narsee Monjee Education Trust for Development of School at GIFT, on August 15, 2013.
- Foundation stone Laying by Smart ICT Pvt Ltd. (consortium led by TATA Communication) for Development of Tier IV Data Centre at GIFT, on December 15, 2013.
- Allotment of total 1.5mn Sq. ft of BUA made to WTC Noida Development Company Ltd. for development of Gujarat's first World Trade Centre (WTC) at GIFT City, on February 15, 2014 for development of commercial offices and residential service apartments.
- Allotment of 0.2mn Sq. ft of BUA made to State Bank of India (SBI), India's largest public sector bank for development of their Commercial Tower at GIFT City, on February 15, 2014.
- Allotment of 0.25mn Sq. ft of BUA made to Sterling Addlife India Pvt. Ltd. for development of 200 beds multispecialty Hospital at GIFT City, on February 15, 2014.
- Allotment of 0.2mn Sq. ft of BUA made to Global Insurance Services (India) Ltd. for development of Skill Development & Training Centre at GIFT City, on February 15, 2014.
- Allotment of aggregate 0.55mn Sq. ft of BUA made to two renowned developers; Sangath Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd. & B. U Bhandari Projects for development of Residential Towers in GIFT City on April 10, 2014 and April 14, 2014 respectively.
- Foundation Stone Laying by West India Hospitality Limited for Development of GIFT International Centre (Business Club) at GIFT City, on October 3, 2014.
- Allotment of 1.1 mn Sq. ft of BUA made to renowned developer Brigade Enterprises Ltd. for development of Commercial, Residential, Hotel & Retail Mall in GIFT SEZ & Non SEZ Area on October 9, 2014.
- Allotment of 0.25mn Sq. ft of BUA made to renowned developer Hiranandani Group for development of Commercial Tower in GIFT SEZ Area on October 9, 2014.
- Allotment made of around 0.5 mn Sq. ft of BUA issued to BSE Brokers' Forum for development of Commercial Building for members of BSE Brokers' Forum at GIFT City, on November 28, 2014.
Awards & Recognition
- GIFT City has been awarded with I.C.O.N.I.C. IDC Insights Award 2014 for Excellence in Innovation in Government Vertical by International Data Corporation (IDC).
- GIFT Project is one of the 6 ventures of India that have figured in list of world's most innovative, impactful infrastructure projects by International Accounting Firm KPMG.
- GIFT City has won the "e-LETS" Award for its innovative City Control and Command Centre ( C-4 ) . GIFT City is the recipient of "Innovative solution for Smart Cities", an accolade that recognizes stand-out organizational contributions in driving change through technology.
- Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City) was selected as one of the world's 'Strategic Top 100 Infrastructure Projects' in 2014 by CG/LA Infrastructure Inc, a 25 year old US-based firm and in that won the most prestigious award in the category of 'Green/New Infrastructure Project of the Year'.
- GIFT City has been conferred as "Smart City of Future" by Cisco Technology Award2014.
- Gujarat International Finance Tec-City Company Limited (GIFTCL) was awarded as the 'Outstanding Concrete Structure of Ahmedabad-2013' in the category of 'Commercial Building' for GIFT ONE Tower Project at the 'ICI (Ahmedabad) UltraTech Award'.
- Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City) had got the Certificate of Achievement in 'Innovation in Utility Transmission & Distribution Infrastrucuture-2013' presented by 'Bentley Systems, Incorporation'.
- Gujarat International Finance Tec-City Company Limited (GIFTCL) won the most prestigious award in the category of 'Best Industrial Development & Expansion' at the 'Infrastructure Investment Awards-2012' organized by World Finance–A WN Media Group based in London.
On Dec 15 2011, Economic Times reported that city officials in GIFT are inviting companies from Singapore who wish to expand but cannot do so due to a lack of land in Singapore to open their businesses in GIFT. Among the investments being encouraged are investments from banks, private equity companies, insurance companies and asset management companies.
On Dec 26 2011, the Times of India reported that China's technology giant Huawei is likely to provide technology to GIFT. According to Eric Yu, president, enterprise business, Huawei India, this technology includes networking solutions and setting up of data centres and surveillance as well as other opportunities.
On Oct 2, 2014, NetIndian reported that a new World Trade Center would be set up in GIFT City as per an agreement between World Trade Center India Services Council (WTCS) and Gujarat International Finance Tec-City Company Ltd (GIFT City). It would be completed within 4 years.
According to the news report from the Times of India on October 18, 2014. The Bangalore-based Brigade Group will invest Rs.500 crore over the next few years to develop 100,000 square metres (1.1×106 sq ft) of built up area with future option of investing another Rs. 600 crore to develop 160,000 square metres (1.7×106 sq ft).
BSE Broker's Forum would invest 120 crore to build a commercial tower to set up back office operations to lower their costs and enjoy modern facilities. They have been allocated 28,000 square metres (300,000 sq ft) to develop the commercial tower. With the likelihood of setting up an exchange office.
- GIFT Gujarat official website
- GIFT Genesis page
- GIFT Video
- "PM Narendra Modi May Unveil Multi-Storey Tower In GIFT City In January". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2016-11-18.
- PTI (2016-11-01). "Sebi grants in-principle approval to BSE for global exchange at GIFT city". http://www.livemint.com/. Retrieved 2016-11-18. External link in
- ABB Group article on GIFT's electricity supply
- India’s tallest proposed building Diamond Tower showcased(Video)