|9th Governor of the Northern Mariana Islands|
Assumed office |
December 29, 2015
|Preceded by||Eloy Inos|
|10th Lieutenant Governor of the Northern Mariana Islands|
January 12, 2015 – December 29, 2015
|Preceded by||Jude Hofschneider|
|Succeeded by||Victor Hocog|
Ralph Deleon Guerrero Torres|
August 6, 1979
Saipan, Northern Mariana
|Spouse(s)||Diann Mendiola Tudela|
|Alma mater||Boise State University|
Ralph Deleon Guerrero Torres (born August 6, 1979) is an American Republican politician from Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands. He has served as the 9th Governor of the Northern Mariana Islands since the death of Governor Eloy Inos on December 28, 2015 (P.S.T.). He previously served as the 10th Lieutenant Governor, which he was elected to in 2014.
Background and personal life
Torres graduated from Boise High School in 1996. He received a BS in Political Science from Boise State University in 2001. In 2004, he began to work with his brother at Torres Brothers, Attorneys at Law.
In 2008, Torres won the election to the Northern Mariana Islands House of Representatives. In 2010, he won the election to the Northern Mariana Islands Senate, acting in a variety of roles. From 2010 to 2015 he was Chairman of the Health & Welfare Committee. In February 2013, he became the President of the Senate.
Torres became Lieutenant Governor on January 12, 2015.
Upon the death of incumbent Governor Eloy Inos, Torres became the Governor of the Northern Mariana Islands on December 29, 2015. In accordance with the constitution, the Senate president, Victor Hocog, became Lieutenant Governor.
Torres approved a bill, public law 19-42, that adds a $1,000 excise tax on pistol purchases, this is the highest tax on pistols in the US.
- "Commonwealth Election Commission - Election 2014 Results". Archived from the original on November 30, 2014. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Ralph DLG. Torres biography". Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands Governor's Office. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- Rabago, Mark (29 December 2015). "Gov. Eloy Inos Passes Away". Saipan Tribune. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Manglona, Thomas (29 December 2015). "CNMI Governor Eloy Inos Dies". Pacific News Center. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- New governor, lt. governor sworn in Marianas Variety December 29, 2015
- $1,000 Gun Tax pushed as "model for the states"
|Lieutenant Governor of the Northern Mariana Islands
| Succeeded by|
|Governor of the Northern Mariana Islands