Soundarya at the NDTV Indian Of The Year 2013 awards
Shaku Bai Rao Gaikwad|
20 September 1984
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Occupation||Graphic designer, film producer, director|
Ashwin Ramkumar |
Aishwarya R. Dhanush (sister)|
Shaku Bai Rao Gaikwad (born 20 September 1984) better known by her stage name Soundarya Rajinikanth, is an Indian graphic designer, producer and director who primarily works in the Tamil film industry. She is the founder and owner of Ocher Picture Productions. Soundarya began her career in films as a graphic designer. For those starring her father Rajinikanth, she designed the title sequences. She became a noted film producer through Goa (2010). She made her début as a director in the film Kochadaiyaan.
Soundarya did her childhood education in The Ashram Matriculation Higher Secondary School in Velachery, Chennai. Soundarya is also the founder and chief executive of Ocher Picture Productions. In 2007, Ocher Studios signed an agreement with Warner Bros Entertainment to partner up in producing and distributing Tamil films. Her directorial début was supposed to be Sultan: The Warrior, a 3D animated film featuring her father Rajinikanth. Despite heavy pre-production promotion, including a teaser of the film and an interactive website, the film was dropped. She instead directed Kochadaiiyaan, India's first motion capture film, with Rajinikanth in the lead role. Through Kochadaiiyaan, Soundarya earned the distinction of becoming the first woman to direct her father in a feature film. At the NDTV Indian of the Year awards 2014, she was honoured for "Technical Innovation In Film". Her next directorial venture, a sequel to Velaiilla Pattadhari, will be produced by S. Thanu in Tamil and Telugu languages.
Soundarya is the younger daughter of actor Rajinikanth and his wife Latha. Soundarya married Ashwin Ramkumar, an industrialist, on 3 September 2010 at Rani Meyyammai Hall in Chennai. Soundarya's elder sister Aishwarya is also a director. Soundarya's first child, a son named Ved was born on 6 May 2015. In September 2016, Soundarya revealed that she had filed for divorce due to irreconcilable differences with Ashwin.
|1999||Padayappa||Graphic designer (Title sketch only)|
|2001||Baba||Graphic designer (Title sequence only)|
|2005||Anbe Aaruyire||Graphic designer|
|Chandramukhi||Graphic designer (Title sequence only)|
|2007||Chennai 600028||Graphic designer|
|Sivaji||Graphic designer (Title sequence only)|
|2014||Kochadaiiyaan||Director, graphic designer|
|2017||Velaiyilla Pattathari 2||Director|
- "My mom is the boss: Soundarya Rajnikanth Ashwin". The Times of India. 12 September 2013. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Gupta, Priya (12 September 2013). "Rajinikanth is extremely persistent". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "Soundarya.R.Ashwin Twitter profile". Twitter. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "Soundarya ties up with Warner Brothers!". Smubla. 8 January 2008. Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- "Soundarya and Aishwarya – the sisters sort it out". The Times of India. 2 April 2012. Archived from the original on 7 July 2012. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- Ronamai, Raymond. "'Kochadaiiyaan' Box Office Collection: Rajinikanth-Deepika Starrer Rocks on Opening Day". International Business Times. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "Soundarya Rajnikanth is the first daughter to direct her father". The Times of India. 16 September 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "NDTV Indian Of The Year: Soundarya Rajinikanth honoured for Technical Innovation In Film - NDTV Movies". NDTV. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "'Kabali' producer to bankroll Soundarya Rajinikanth's next directorial project". The New Indian Express. Indo-Asian News Service. 27 September 2016. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Soundarya Rajinikanth to direct Dhanush in VIP 2". The Hindu. 9 November 2016. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Soundarya Rajinikanth wedding : Rajinikanth daughter Soundarya marriage pictures". Allvoices.com. 4 September 2010. Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- "Its a boy for Soundarya Rajinikanth". India Today. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "Soundarya Rajinikanth confirms divorce". The Times of India. 17 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.