Elephant Pass fort
|Elephant Pass Fort|
|Elephant Pass, Sri Lanka|
Elephant Pass Fort
|Coordinates||9°31′24″N 80°24′29″E / 9.523343°N 80.408080°E|
Elephant Pass Fort (Tamil: ஆனையிறவுக் கோட்டை) was a small fort in the strategically important spot as it linked Jaffna peninsula to the mainland. It was built by the Dutch in 1776 on the banks of the Jaffna lagoon.
The fort was served as a defensive structure to protect the Jaffna peninsula. It was like a well-fortified stockade or a watch post. It had two bastions, and each bastion was equipped with four cannons. Elephant Pass Fort was linearly located with Fort Beschutter and Fort Pass Pyl in the narrow part of the peninsula. During the British rule, the fort was used as a rest house. It was destroyed during the time of Sri Lankan civil war.
- "A feel of Sri Lanka: The road from Elephant Pass". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "Dutch Fort at Elephant Pass". Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- Nelson, W. A.; de Silva, R. K. (2004). The Dutch Forts of Sri Lanka – The Military Monuments of Ceylon. Sri Lanka Netherlands Association.
- "Pass of a thousand battles" (PDF). (640 KB)