2018 Winter Paralympics
Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Paralympics official logo
|Host city||Pyeongchang, South Korea|
Korean: 하나된 열정.
|Nations participating||42 (estimated)|
|Events||80 in 5 sports|
|Opening ceremony||9 March|
|Closing ceremony||18 March|
|Paralympic stadium||Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium|
|2018 Winter Paralympics|
The 2018 Winter Paralympics (Hangul: 평창 동계 패럴림픽; Hanja: 平昌 冬季 패럴림픽; RR: Pyeongchang Donggye Paereollimpik), officially known as the XII Paralympic Winter Games, will be held in Pyeongchang, South Korea, and is an international winter sports athletic event that has yet to be organized by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) from 9 to 18 March 2018. The International Olympic Committee (IOC), received three bids on October 15, 2009. The cities of Annecy, France in the French Alps, and Munich, Germany (host of the 1972 Summer Olympics), were also vying for the hosting rights to the 2018 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games. All three applicants were selected as Candidate cities on June 22, 2010. The winning bid was announced on July 6, 2011 at the 123rd IOC Session in Durban, South Africa.
On October 29, 2013, the new emblem was revealed for the 2018 Winter Paralympic Games in preparation of the handover from Sochi on March 16, 2014.
Competitions in the 2018 Winter Paralympics were held in six Winter Paralympic sports, with 80 medal events in total. New for 2018 will be the addition of snowboarding events as an individual sport where 10 events will be contested. Previously in 2014 Sochi, two snowboard medal events were incorporated into alpine skiing program.
- Alpine skiing (30) ()
- Biathlon (18) ()
- Cross-country skiing (20) ()
- Ice sledge hockey (1) ()
- Snowboarding (10) ()
- Wheelchair curling (1) ()
The Alpensia Resort in Daegwallyeong-myeon will be the focus of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Paralympics.
- Alpensia Resort – Biathlon, cross country skiing
- Main Olympic Village – Athletes Village
- Yongpyong Alpine Centre – Alpine Skiing
- Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium – Awards and Opening and Closing Ceremonies
Stand Alone Venue
- Bokwang Snow Park – Snowboarding
Participating National Paralympic Committees
- South Korea (1)
Bandabi, an Asiatic black bear, was named the official mascot of 2018 Winter Paralympics.
Pyeongchang launched its third consecutive bid for the Winter Olympic & Paralympic Games, which ultimately won. Munich also launched a bid to host. Annecy launched a bid but failed to gain public support from locals. Their bid ultimately just received seven votes. Only these three cities made bids for these games and all three became candidates.
- , International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
- Applicant Cities, International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
- PyeongChang 2018 Alpensia Resort and water park complete and full for summer season
- "Para-Snowboard Included in Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games | IPC". Paralympic.org. 2012-05-28. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
XII Paralympic Winter Games (2018)
| Succeeded by|