Agriculture in Albania
Agriculture in Albania employs 47.8% of the population and about 24.31% of the land is used for agricultural purposes. Agriculture contributes to 18.9% of the country's GDP. Domestic farm products accounted for 63% of household expenditures and 25% of exports in 1990. As part of the pre-accession process of Albania to the EU, farmers are being aided through IPA 2011 funds to improve Albanian agriculture standards. One of the earliest farming sites in Europe has been found in Southeastern Albania.
Production and exports
The main agricultural products in Albania are tobacco, figs, olives, wheat, maize, potatoes, vegetables, fruits, sugar beets, grapes, meat, honey, dairy products, and traditional medicine and aromatic plants. Agriculture accounts for 18.9% of the GDP and a large portion of the exports. However, it is limited primarily to small family operations and subsistence farming because of lack of modern equipment, unclear property rights, and the prevalence of small, inefficient plots of land. The post-1990 land fragmentation, uncertain land ownership, lack of state registries and bank crediting, and high VAT are all obstacles to a modern agricultural industry. There is also a concern that agricultural products originating from Albania are being stamped as 'Product of Turkey' for the international market.
However, the agricultural scene is gradually changing with the introduction of cooperatives, foreign investment, farmer formalization, and the construction of collection and distribution centers.
Albania has soils and a climate favorable to an extensive lumber industry. Many of the historic forests of Albania were destroyed with inefficient wood industry and expanse of agricultural land in the 1990s. Today, forests cover about one third of Albania’s land area and, due to an agreement with Italy and the World Bank, there is a large amount of reforestation underway.
Albania’s proximity to the Ionian Sea and the Adriatic Sea give the underdeveloped fishing industry great potential. World Bank and European Community economists report that Albania's fishing industry has good potential to generate export earnings because prices in the nearby Greek and Italian markets are many times higher than those in the Albanian market. The fish available off the coasts of Albania are carp, trout, sea bream, mussels, and crustaceans.
- "Annex 15 â Template of Project Fiche for IPA programmes / component I - centralised management" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-06-17. C1 control character in
|title=at position 11 (help)
- "UC Research Reveals One of the Earliest Farming Sites in Europe". Uc.edu. 2012-04-16. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- Bernet, Thomas & Kazazi, Iris S. Organic Agriculture in Albania: Sector Study 2011. Swiss Coordination Office in Albania (SCO-A), Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL) & Ministry of Agriculture of Albania, Tirana, Albania, 2012
- Diku, Abdulla. OPTIONS FOR GHG MITIGATION IN THE AGRICULTURE SECTOR IN ALBANIA, March 2012
- Dashi E., Guri F. "Food, Rural, Agricultural and Fisheries Policies in Albania". In : Allaya M. (ed.) Les agricultures méditerranéennes : analyses par pays. Montpellier : CIHEAM, 2008. p. 241-264 (Options Méditerranéennes : Série B. Etudes et Recherches; n. 61)
- Jojic Etleva; Bujar Huqi, Fatbardh Sallaku, Odeta Tota, and Shkelqim Fortuzi. "Land Fragmentation and Utilization of Agricultural Machinery in Albanian Conditions", Research Journal of Agricultural Science, 41 (2), 2009
- Ana Mane Kapaj and Ilir Kapaj (2012). Olive Oil Sector in Albania and Its Perspective, Olive Oil - Constituents, Quality, Health Properties and Bioconversions, Boskou Dimitrios (Ed.), ISBN 978-953-307-921-9, InTech
- Miluka, Juna; Gero Carletto, Benjamin Davis, and Alberto Zezza. “The Vanishing Farms? The Impact of International Migration on Albanian Family Farming”, Journal of Development Studies 46, no.1 (2010): 1140 - 1161
- Muller, Daniel and Thomas Sikor. "Effects of Post-Socialist Reforms on Land Cover and Land Use in South-Eastern Albania." Applied Geography 26, no. 3-4 (2006):175-191.
- Levene, David (1 January 2013). "Albania's chestnut, cheese and pasta workers.". The Guardian.
- LeBlanc, Tyler (26 December 2014). "Albania Mania: Perfect beaches, mountain hikes and truly local food. Packing yet?". Modern Farmer.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Agriculture in Albania.|
- Organic Europe: Albania Profile
- Agroweb Albanian Agriculture Portal
- Agr.al Albanian Agricultural Products Virtual Market
- Albanian Agribusiness Council Official Website
- Organic Agriculture Association of Albania Official Website
- Albanian Women in Business Official Website
- Well Food Hub Adriatic Project
- Slow Food Foundation Arch of Taste
- Agency for Agricultural and Rural Development Official Website
- Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development, and Water Administration of Albania Official Website