Stone House, Ooty
Stone House, Ooty in 1905, with a tree called Sullivan's Oak in the foreground.
|Former names||Kal Bangala|
|Location||Ooty, Tamil Nadu,|
|Coordinates||11°24′44″N 76°42′46″E / 11.412142°N 76.712728°ECoordinates: 11°24′44″N 76°42′46″E / 11.412142°N 76.712728°E|
|Client||Principal, Government Arts College, Ooty|
|Owner||Government of Tamil Nadu|
Stone House was the first bungalow constructed in Ooty (India). It was built by John Sullivan and was called Kal Bangala by the tribals (Kal means stone in Tamil). Today, it is the official residence of the Principal of the Government Arts College, Ooty. The tree in front of the bungalow is known as the Sullivan's oak.
John Sullivan started building Stonehouse in 1822. He acquired land from the Toda people at ₹1 (1.5¢ US) an acre.
- Panter-Downes, Mollie (1967). Ooty preserved: a Victorian Hill station. Hamish Hamiliton. p. 38.
- Huxley, Michael (1975). The Geographical magazine, Volume 48. Geographical Press. p. 516.
- Wright, Gillian (1991). Hill stations of India. Odyssey. p. 226.
- "One Man's Ooty", The Hindu, India, 16 Jan 2005
- "Stone House". Ootyindia.in. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- Tourist Guide to South India. South India. 2006. p. 96. ISBN 81-7478-175-7.
- Bradnock, Robert (2000). South India handbook: the travel guide. South India. p. 153. ISBN 1-900949-81-4.
- "Portion of Front of Stonehouse, 1905.". harappa.com. Retrieved 2011-09-09.