Location in Belgium
|Coordinates: 50°40′37″N 4°43′10″E / 50.67686°N 4.71956°ECoordinates: 50°40′37″N 4°43′10″E / 50.67686°N 4.71956°E|
|• Mayor||Luc Decorte (ARC)|
|• Governing party/ies||ARC, Ecolo|
|• Total||48.09 km2 (18.57 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||240/km2 (630/sq mi)|
Chaumont-Gistoux (Walloon: Tchåmont-Djistou) is a Walloon municipality located in the Belgian province of Walloon Brabant. On 1 January 2006 Chaumont-Gistoux had a total population of 10,926. The total area is 48.09 km² which gives a population density of 227 inhabitants per km².
It was formed from the fusion, in 1977, of Dion-Valmont (itself a fusion in 1971 of Dion-le-Val and Dion-le-Mont), Bonlez, Corroy-le-Grand, Longueville and Chaumont-Gistoux. The administrative offices are now in the village of Gistoux.
It is a semi-rural municipality with several working farms, large areas given over to fields and forests, although there is a major industry of sand extraction, now mostly in decline. Due to this history there are now several haulage and construction firms based in the municipality.
Chaumont-Gistoux is on the KW-line, a defensive line erected early in the Second World War, intended to prevent invasion from Germany. A small museum houses information about the line and many exhibits from the war.
Her Royal Highness Princess Claire of Belgium grew up in Chaumont-Gistoux. The Coombs family still resides there to this day, and the Princess, her husband Prince Laurent and their children are often seen in the municipality.
Villages in the municipality
- Bonlez 50°42′09″N 4°41′22″E / 50.70250°N 4.68958°E
- Chaumont, 50°40′37″N 4°43′10″E / 50.67686°N 4.71956°E
- Corroy-le-Grand, 50°39′43″N 4°40′29″E / 50.66208°N 4.67466°E
- Dion-le-Mont 50°41′59″N 4°40′14″E / 50.69982°N 4.67054°E
- Dion-le-Val 50°42′58″N 4°39′42″E / 50.71623°N 4.66155°E
- Gistoux 50°41′01″N 4°41′41″E / 50.68370°N 4.69486°E
- Longueville 50°42′09″N 4°44′25″E / 50.70240°N 4.74030°E
- Vieusart or (Vieux-Sart) 50°40′47″N 4°38′52″E / 50.67968°N 4.64765°E
- Population per municipality as of 1 January 2016 (XLS; 397 KB)
- Media related to Chaumont-Gistoux at Wikimedia Commons