Dillard Mill State Historic Site
|Dillard Mill State Historic Site|
|Missouri State Historic Site|
|Elevation||906 ft (276 m)|
|Coordinates||37°43′03″N 91°12′24″W / 37.71750°N 91.20667°WCoordinates: 37°43′03″N 91°12′24″W / 37.71750°N 91.20667°W|
|Area||131.77 acres (53 ha)|
|Management||Missouri Department of Natural Resources|
Location in Missouri
|Website: Dillard Mill State Historic Site|
Dillard Mill Historic District
|Location||142 Dillard Mill Rd., near Davisville, Missouri|
|Area||58 acres (23 ha)|
|Built by||Adams, Jacob; Mischke, Emil; Klemme, Lester|
|Architectural style||I-house, Bungalow|
|NRHP Reference #||14001157|
|Added to NRHP||January 14, 2015|
The Dillard Mill State Historic Site is a privately owned, state-administered property on Huzzah Creek in Crawford County, Missouri that preserves a water-powered gristmill. The 132-acre (53 ha) site has been operated as a state historic site by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources under a lease agreement with the L-A-D Foundation since 1975. The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.
A mill was built on Huzzah Creek in 1853 by Francis Wisdom and it was known as the Wisdom Mill. It was destroyed by fire in 1895. The property changed hands, and a new mill, the Mische Mill, was built in 1908. The Mische Mill used an underwater turbine rather than the old waterwheel, and the owners altered the course of the stream and the bluff at the site. The mill was in operation until 1956. It was renamed the Dillard Mill in 1975 when the state took over management of the property. It was dedicated as a historic site in 1977. Restoration of the mill was completed in 1980.
- "Dillard Mill State Historic Site". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Missouri State Park Advisory Board Annual Report 2008". Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "State Park Land Acquisition Summary". Missouri State Parks. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Weekly List of Actions Taken". National Register of Historic Place Listings. National Park Service. January 23, 2015. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Dillard Mill State Historic Site". Missouri State Parks. Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "General Information: Dillard Mill State Historic Site". Missouri State Parks. Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
- Suggs, George G., Wells, Jake K. (1990). Water Mills of the Missouri Ozarks. The University of Oklahoma Press. pp. 69–72. ISBN 0-8061-2432-6.
- Bonnie Stepenoff (September 2014). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Dillard Mill Historic District" (PDF). Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved 2016-11-01.] (includes 22 photos from 2014)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dillard Mill State Historic Site.|
- Dillard Mill State Historic Site Missouri Department of Natural Resources