Liferea browsing Linux related news
|Original author(s)||Lars Windolf|
|Initial release||July 28, 2003|
|Stable release||1.10.18 (January 30, 2016) [±]|
|Preview release||1.11.7 (January 30, 2016 ) [±]|
|Operating system||Linux, BSD, Solaris|
Liferea is an abbreviation for Linux Feed Reader, a news aggregator for online news feeds. It supports the major feed formats including RSS/RDF and Atom and can import and export subscription lists in OPML format. Liferea is intended to be a fast, easy to use, and easy to install news aggregator for GTK+ that can be used with the GNOME desktop. Liferea features a script manager, in which users can add custom scripts that run whenever a certain action occurs.
Liferea also supports Podcasting.
The lead programmer of Liferea, Lars Windolf, who is German, pronounces the name of the software [lifəreja].
To easily read linked articles or weblog comments, Liferea allows reading websites using an embedded browser, which can be either Mozilla/Firefox/XulRunner, GtkHTML or, in newer versions, Webkit. Additionally, the user can configure many predefined external browsers (e.g. Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, Opera, Epiphany, Konqueror) with which to open links.
By sorting subscriptions into folders, the user can read all headlines of a folder at once. By enabling a filtering preference, all previously read headlines of the folder can be hidden.
Similar to the mail client Evolution, Liferea supports search folders, which allow the user to save searches. Each search folder contains all headlines that match its user-defined search rules.
In Web there is a news feed subscription extension, which allows adding news feeds when viewing websites.
Since Firefox 2.0+, Liferea can be used without a special extension. To subscribe to new feeds from within Firefox, the Liferea helper script "liferea-add-feed" has to be configured in the Firefox feed subscription preferences.
- "0.5.0-1 : liferea package : Ubuntu". Launchpad.net. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- M. Germain, Jack (13 June 2012). "Liferea: A Feed Reader That Prefers a Simple Life". LinuxInsider. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Liferea – The Free News Aggregator on your Linux desktop". Ubuntu Geek. 14 January 2013. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Stieben, Danny (16 June 2011). "Liferea – The Perfect RSS Aggregator For Your Linux Desktop". MakeUseOf. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Liferea Blog: 64bit Test". Liferea.blogspot.com. 2007-06-05. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "Searching and Search Folders". Lzone. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Windolf, Lars (4 July 2013). "TheOldReader Sync Implemented". Lzone. Retrieved 14 November 2014.