List of free and open-source software packages
This is a list of free and open-source software packages, computer software licensed under free software licenses and open-source licenses. Software that fits the Free Software Definition may be more appropriately called free software; the GNU project in particular objects to their works being referred to as open-source. For more information about the philosophical background for open-source software, see free software movement and Open Source Initiative. However, nearly all software meeting the Free Software Definition also meets the Open Source Definition and vice versa. A small fraction of the software that meets either definition is listed here.
Some of the open-source applications are also the basis of commercial products, shown in the List of commercial open-source applications and services.
- OpenCog A project that aims to build an artificial general intelligence (AGI) framework. OpenCog Prime is a specific set of interacting components designed to give rise to human-equivalent artificial general intelligence.
- Computer Vision
- Machine Learning
- TREX Reactive planning
- ROS Robot Operating System
- Blender; 3D modeling software written in C, C++ and Python containing cloth, hair, fluid and rigid body simulation techniques
- SimPy; queue-theoretic event-based simulator written in Python
- flightgear is an open-source flight simulator written for Windows, Mac OS X, and GNU/Linux.
- Adempiere — Enterprise resource planning(ERP) business suite
- Bitcoin Core — Peer-to-peer decentralised digital currency.
- Bonita Open Solution — Business Process Management
- CiviCRM – Constituent Relationship Management software aimed at NGOs
- Compiere — ERP solution automates accounting, supply chain, inventory, and sales orders
- Cyclos — Software for microfinance institutions, complementary currency systems and timebanks
- Dolibarr — Web-based ERP system.
- GnuCash — Double-entry book-keeping
- HomeBank — for personal use
- Ino erp — Dynamic Pull Based System ERP
- JFire — An ERP Business Suite written with Java and JDO
- KMyMoney — Double-entry book-keeping
- LedgerSMB — Double-entry book-keeping
- Mifos — Microfinance Institution management software
- OrangeHRM — Commercial Human Resource Management
- Postbooks — Integrated Accounting and ERP Business Suite
- QuickFIX — FIX protocol engine written in C++ with additional C#, Ruby, and Python wrappers
- QuickFIX/J — FIX protocol engine written in Java
- SQL Ledger — Double-entry book-keeping
- SugarCRM — Commercial Customer Relationship Management
- TurboCASH — Double-entry book-keeping for Windows
- vtiger CRM — Customer Relationship Management(CRM) software with Sales force automation, marketing management,Customer Service/Support,Inventory Management
Integrated Library Management Software
- refbase — Web-based institutional repository and reference management software
- Darktable — Digital image workflow management, including RAW processing
- digiKam — Integrated photography toolkit including editing capabilities
- GIMP — GNU Image Manipulation Program
- Inkscape — An open-source vector graphics editor
- Krita — Digital painting and sketching application
- RawTherapee — Digital image workflow management, including RAW processing
Reference management software
- P-GRADE Portal — Grid portal software enabling the creation, execution and monitoring of workflows through high-level Web interfaces
Microscope image processing
- MeshLab, able to import PDB dataset and build up surfaces from them
- Ninithi — visualize and analyze the carbon allotropes such as Carbon nanotube, Fullerene, Graphene nanoribbons
- LimeSurvey — Online survey system
Speech (synthesis and recognition)
- CMU Sphinx — Speech recognition software from Carnegie Mellon University
- Emacspeak — Audio desktop
- ESpeak — compact software speech synthesizer for English and other languages
- Festival Speech Synthesis System
- Modular Audio Recognition Framework — voice, audio, speech NLP processing
- NonVisual Desktop Access — (NVDA) Screen reader for Windows
- Text2Speech — Lightweight and easy to use Text-To-Speech (TTS) Software
Other assistive technology
- Dasher — Unique text input software
- Gnopernicus — AT suite for GNOME 2
- Virtual Magnifying Glass — a multi-platform screen magnification tool.
Data storage and management
- Environment for DeveLoping KDD-Applications Supported by Index-Structures (ELKI) — data mining software framework written in Java with a focus on clustering and outlier detection methods.
- SCaViS — Java-based data analysis framework
- Konstanz Information Miner (KNIME)
- OpenNN — Open-source neural networks software library written in the C++ programming language.
- Orange (software) — data visualization and data mining for novice and experts, through visual programming or Python scripting. Extensions for bioinformatics and text mining.
- RapidMiner — data mining software written in Java, fully integrating Weka, featuring 350+ operators for preprocessing, machine learning, visualization, etc. – the previous version is available as open source.
- Scriptella ETL — ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) and script execution tool. Supports integration with J2EE and Spring. Provides connectors to CSV, LDAP, XML, JDBC/ODBC, and other data sources.
- Weka — data mining software written in Java featuring machine learning operators for classification, regression, and clustering.
- JasperSoft — data mining with programmable abstraction layer.
Data Visualization Components
- ParaView plotting and visualization functions developed by Sandia National Laboratory, capable of massively parallel flow visualization utilizing multiple computer processors
- VTK is a toolkit for 3D computer graphics, image processing and visualization.
Digital Asset Management software system
- ResourceSpace - Widely used system with roots in the NGO sector
Enterprise search engines
ETLs (Extract Transform Load)
- OpenAFS — a distributed file system supporting a very wide variety of operating systems
- Tahoe-LAFS — a distributed file system/cloud storage system with integrated privacy and security features
- CephFS — a distributed file system included in the Ceph storage platform.
Networking and Internet
- Asterisk — Telephony and VoIP server
- Ekiga — Video conferencing application for GNOME and Microsoft Windows
- FreePBX — Front-end and advanced PBX configuration for Asterisk
- FreeSWITCH — Telephony platform
- Jitsi — Java VoIP and Instant Messaging client
- QuteCom — Voice, video, and IM client application
- Enterprise Communications System sipXecs — SIP Communications Server
- Slrn — a newsreader
- Twinkle — VoIP softphone
Grid and distributed processing
- Apache Axis2 — Web service framework (implementations are available in both Java & C)
- Apache Geronimo
- Bonita Open Solution(software) — a J2EE web application and java BPMN2 compliant engine
- GlassFish Application Server
- Jakarta Tomcat — a servlet container and standalone webserver
- JBoss Application Server an application server
- ObjectWeb JOnAS — Java Open Application Server, a J2EE application server
- TAO (software) — C++ implementation of the OMG's CORBA standard
- Enduro/X – C/C++ middleware platform based on X/Open group's XATMI and XA standards
- Akregator — Platforms running KDE
- Liferea — Platforms running GNOME
- RSS Bandit — Windows – .NET Framework
- RSSOwl — Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris, Linux – Java SWT Eclipse
- Sage (Mozilla Firefox extension)
Remote access and management
- Apache Cocoon — a web application framework
- Apache — the most popular web server
- AWStats — a log file parser and analyzer
- BookmarkSync — a tool for browsers
- Cherokee — Speedy, feature rich HTTP Server
- curl-loader — a powerful HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/FTPS loading and testing open-source tool
- Hiawatha — Secure, high performance and easy-to-configure HTTP server
- HTTP File Server — a user friendly file server software with a drag and drop interface
- lighttpd — Resource sparing but also fast and full featured HTTP Server
- Lucee — CFML Application Server
- nginx — lightweight, high performance web server/reverse proxy and e-mail (IMAP/POP3) proxy
- NetKernel — an internet application server
- Piwik — a web analytics system
- Qcodo — a PHP5 framework
- Squid (software) — web proxy cache
- Vaadin — a fast to use java based framework for creating web applications
- Varnish (software) — high-performance web application accelerator/reverse proxy and load balancer/HTTP router
- XAMPP — a package of web applications including Apache and MySQL
- Zope — a web application server
Other networking programs
- JXplorer — a LDAP client
- OpenLDAP — a LDAP server
- openVXI — a VoiceXML interpreter
- YaCy — P2P-based search engine
- ownCloud – a file share and sync server
- Wireshark - A Network Monitor
- ATutor — a web-based Learning Content Management System (LCMS)
- Chamilo — a web-based e-learning and content management system
- Claroline — a collaborative Learning Management System
- eFront — an icon-based learning management system
- FlightPath — academic advising software for universities
- Gnaural — Brainwave entrainment software
- IUP Portfolio
- ILIAS — a web-based learning management system (LMS)
- Moodle — a free and open-source learning management system
- OLAT — a web-based Learning Content Management System
- openSIS — a web-based Student Information and School Management system
- Sakai Project — a web-based learning management system
- SWAD – a web-based learning management system
- Tux Paint — a paint application for 3–12 year olds
Other educational programs
Audio editors, audio management
- DVD Flick
- OpenShot Video Editor
- VideoLAN Movie Creator
Other media packages
- Celtx — Media Pre-production Software
Be advised that available distributions of these systems can contain, or offer to build and install, added software that is neither free software nor open-source.
Emulation and Virtualisation
Personal information managers
- Chandler — developed by the OSAF.
- Mozilla Calendar — A Mozilla-based, multi-platform calendar program.
- Novell Evolution
- OpenSync (software)
- Project.net — Commercial Project Management
- TeamLab — Platform for project management and collaboration
Programming language support
- CodeSynthesis XSD — XML Data Binding compiler for C++
- CodeSynthesis XSD/e — Validating XML parser/serializer and C++ XML Data Binding generator for mobile and embedded systems
- Flex lexical analyser— generates lexical analyzers
- Open Scene Graph — 3D graphics application programming interface
- OpenSCDP — Open Smart Card Development Platform
- SableCC — parser generator for Java and .NET
- SWIG — Simplified Wrapper and Interface Generator for several languages
- xmlbeansxx — XML Data Binding code generator for C++
- YAKINDU Statechart Tools — Statechart code generator for C++ and Java
- Doxygen : a tool for writing software reference documentation. The documentation is written within code.
- Mkd : The software documentation is extracted from the sources files, from pseudocode or comments.
- Natural Docs : claims to use a more natural language as input from the comments, hence its name.
Debuggers (for testing and trouble-shooting)
- GNU Debugger — "works for many programming languages [...]"
- Memtest86 — Stress-tests RAM on x86 machines
- Xnee — Record and replay tests
Data loss prevention
- Coyote Linux
Secure Shell (ssh)
- Cyberduck — Mac OS X and Windows client (since version 4.0)
- Lsh — server and client (supporting SRP and Kerberos authentication)
- OpenSSH — client/server
- PuTTY — client only
Bible study tools
- BibleDesktop — For Cross-platform
- BibleTime — For Linux using KDE
- Go Bible — For Java Mobile Phones
- jSword — For Java
- MacSword — For Mac OS X
- Marcion — For Linux and Windows, using Qt UI Framework and embedded MySQL server
- openlp.org — Worship presentation software for churches to display songs, bibles, movies etc.
- SwordBible — For Windows
- The SWORD Project for Windows — For Windows
- Xiphos The_SWORD_Project — For Linux using GNOME
- Richard Stallman (July 13, 2011). "Why Open Source misses the point of Free Software". Retrieved August 24, 2011.
- Free Software Directory — The Free Software Directory of the Free Software Foundation.
- Open Source Software Directory — Provides a list of open-source software organized by categories.
- Open Source Living — Open Source Living is a community-driven dynamic archive of open-source software.
- Ohloh — Ohloh is an open-source directory that anyone can edit.
- AlternativeTo – user-edited directory of alternatives to popular software – both open-source and non-open-source. Alternatives are listed under the software they are considered an alternative to, rather than requiring the user to browse to a relevant category.
Open-source for Windows
- List of open-source programs (LOOP list) for Windows
- TheOpenDisc.com pre-assembled disc of OSS for Windows (successor to TheOpenCD.org)
- The OSSwin project: Open Source for Windows