National symbols of Canada
National symbols of Canada are the symbols that are used in Canada and abroad to represent the country and its people. Prominently, the use of the maple leaf as a Canadian symbol dates back to the early 18th century, and is depicted on its current and previous flags, the penny, and on the coat of arms (or royal arms).
The Crown symbolizes the Canadian monarchy, and appears on the coat of arms (used by parliamentarians and government ministries), the flag of the Governor General, the coats of arms of many provinces and territories; the badges of several federal departments, the Canadian Forces, Royal Military College of Canada, Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), many regiments, and other police forces; on buildings, as well as some highway signs and licence plates. Also, the Queen's image appears in Canadian government buildings, military installations and schools; and on Canadian stamps, $20 bank notes, and all coins.
List of symbols
Canada does not have a floral emblem, and none of the tartan, maple leaf, or Great Seal emblems are official symbols.
|Royal Standard||Royal Crest on a blue field adopted September 1961|
|National flag||February 15, 1965|
|Royal Arms||November 21, 1921 (current version 1994, 1957 version shown)|
|Great Seal||November 14, 1955 (current version)|
"God Save the Queen"
|1867 (song dates to 1744)|
|July 1, 1980 (song dates to 1880)|
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
(From sea to sea)
|November 21, 1921|
|National colours||November 21, 1921 by order of King George V|
|Additional national symbol||
|May 12, 1994|
Ice hockey (winter)
|May 12, 1994|
Maple Leaf Tartan
|March 9, 2011|
- "The Crown in Canada". Department of Canadian Heritage. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- "Floral Emblems of Canada – A Bouquet". Canadian Heritage. 21 March 2009. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- "Other symbols of Canada". The Department of Canadian Heritage. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- "Official symbols of Canada". The Department of Canadian Heritage. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- "The arms of Canada". Department of Canadian Heritage. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- "National Sports of Canada Act, CHAPTER N-16.7". Code of Canada. Government of Canada. 12 May 1994.
- Department of Canadian Heritage (2002). Symbols of Canada. Ottawa, ON: Queen's Printer for Canada. ISBN 0-660-18615-2.
- Ross, David; Hook, Richard (1988). The Royal Canadian Mounted Police 1873–1987. London: Osprey. ISBN 0-85045-834-X.
- Hutchins, Donna; Hutchins, Nigel (2006). The Maple Leaf Forever: A Celebration of Canadian Symbols. Erin: The Boston Mills Press. ISBN 978-1-55046-474-0.