|Original author(s)||Zhang Xiaolong (张小龙)|
|Stable release||7.2.7 (June 3, 2015 ) [±]|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows and Mac OS|
|Available in||English and Chinese|
According to a 2001 Sina.com survey, Foxmail had a 32.92% market share in China. In 2003, in a joint press-release with Verisign promoting Internationalized domain names, the authors' reported over 3 million daily Foxmail users in China. (For perspective, the CNNIC reported a total number of 35 million Internet users in China in January 2002.) Foxmail tutorials are found in several Internet literacy books for the Chinese market.
The Dutch edition of PC Magazine reported that version 6.0 of Foxmail occasionally sends email usage data to datacollect.foxmail.com.cn, but otherwise generally described it as an "excellent email client", recommending version 5.0.8 (the last one before the acquisition), which isn't affected by this issue.
Foxmail 5 violates RFC 822 (and 2822, 5322) by putting 8-bit characters in the subject and address header fields. It is said to support Chinese Domain Name standards from RFC3454, RFC3490, RFC3491, and RFC3492 published in March 2003 by IETF.
- Xu Caixing. "Now that Foxmail has Acquired Tencent, What are the Plans of Zhang Xiaolong, the Developer of QQ?" PConline.com.cn. PConline. 18 March 2005. Retrieved at <http://news.pconline.com.cn/hy/0503/577240.html> on 2 June 2011. (Chinese).
- "Interview with Zhang Xiaolong: Foxmail 4.0 is Still Free". SINA.com.cn. Stone Rich Sight. 24 September 2001. Retrieved at <http://tech.sina.com.cn/c/2001-08-24/5372.html> on 2 June 2011. (Chinese).
- "VeriSign Breaks the English Language Hold On Internet Navigation With Internationalized Domain Names" VeriSign.com. VeriSign. 4 March 2003. Retrieved at <http://www.verisign.com/static/002497.pdf> on 2 June 2011.
- Hughes, Christopher R.; Wacker, Gudrun (2003). China and the Internet: politics of the digital leap forward. Routeledge. p. 31. ISBN 978-0-415-27772-3.
- Li Wei; Zheng Yanfeng; Fang Jun (2005). Lecture on the Practical Uses of Computer Software / The Practical Training Lecture Series (工具软件实用培训教程/实用培训教程系列). Qinghua University Press. pp. 159–168. ISBN 978-7-302-10036-2.
- Zheng Hongqiao; Wu Diange (2005). Educational Uses of the Internet: "School Projects" Series (Internet教学应用("校校通工程"丛书)). Qinghua University Press. pp. 94–105. ISBN 978-7-302-11021-7.
- Wang Ding; Chen Bo (2005). A Concise Internet Tutorial (Internet简明教程). Qinghua University Press. pp. 99–107. ISBN 978-7-302-10881-8.
- Kang Yu; Chen Zeyou (2008). An Introduction to Home Computer Use: Increasing Proficiency (家庭电脑应用入门·提高·精通). DynoMedia Inc. pp. 214–217. ISBN 978-7-111-22707-6.
- Joost Blokzijl. "Free Email Client". pcmagazine.zdnet.nl. CBS Interactive. 1 May 2006. Retrieved at <http://pcmagazine.zdnet.nl/reviews/56115/foxmail-5-0-8/> on 2 June 2011. (Belgian-Dutch)
- "FAQ for Chinese Domain Name". cnnic.net.cn. China Internet Network Information Center. 10 October 2005. Retrieved at <http://www.cnnic.net.cn/html/Dir/2005/10/11/3218.htm> on 2 June 2011.
- Official website
- (French) A tutorial
- Wang Once Again Critiques the New Features of Foxmail 6.5 (王者再出击 Foxmail 6.5新功能试用), Sina.com (Chinese)