Arachne (web browser)
Arachne GPL web browser using its VESA and CGA display modes, respectively
|Developer(s)||Michal Polák and Jeremiah Zavala|
|Initial release||December 22, 1996|
1.97 / April 4, 2013
|Preview release||none [±]|
|Operating system||DOS, Linux|
Arachne is a full-screen Internet suite containing a graphical web browser, email client, and dialer. Originally, Arachne was developed by Michal Polák under his xChaos label, a name he later changed into Arachne Labs. It was written in C and compiled using Borland C++ 3.1. Arachne has since been released under the GPL as Arachne GPL.
Arachne supports many file formats, protocols and standards including video modes from CGA 640×200 in monochrome to VESA 1024×768 in high color mode (65,536 colors). It is designed for systems that do not have any windowing systems installed.
The first version of Arachne with a known release date was 1.0 Beta 2, which was released on 22 December 1996. The final and official version by Arachne Labs was 1.70R3 for DOS (released 22 January 2001) and 1.66 beta for Linux (released 20 July 2000). While there have been several more DOS versions, Linux development lay dormant until 24 May 2008 when a beta version 1.93 for Linux was released. The current DOS version, maintained by Glenn McCorkle, is 1.97 as of 4 March 2013. In 2006, there also was an experimental DPMI port of Arachne by Udo Kuhnt, named DPMI Arachne.
|color||#rgb or #rrggbb or a color name|
|background-color||background||#rgb or #rrggbb or a color name|
|font-size||%, px, pt|
- Comparison of web browsers
- Lynx (text-based)
- List of web browsers
- MINUET (graphical)
- List of Usenet newsreaders
- Comparison of Usenet newsreaders
- Rakitin, Jason "Review: Alternative Web browsers Archived November 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine." Network World, 27 October 1997
- Arachne Labs
- "Section 508 Alternative Browsers" National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Stutz, Michael "Czech Browser Won't Do Windows Archived December 2, 2008, at the Wayback Machine." Wired, 6 June 1997
- "Arachne HTML support". FreeDos. 2008-07-10. Archived from the original on 2011-08-26. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- Rakitin, Jason (27 October 1997). "Review: Alternative Web browsers". Network World Fusion. Archived from the original on 5 October 2001. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- Arachne file archive Archived June 24, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Glenn McCorkle (2008). "Arachne v1.93;GPL for Linux". Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Is Arachne the same program as Caldera Webspyder?" Arachne Frequently Asked Questions
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arachne (web browser).|
- Arachne Development group & list
- Arachne GPL
- Arachne Add-ons
- Arachne Labs homepage
- Mel's Arachne4DOS UK Home page
- Arachne HTML support at freedos.org
- Arachne web browser. Installing and setting up for internet connection via Ethernet network adapter