St. Angelo Fort
|St. Angelo Fort, Kannur|
Inside the St.Angelos Fort
|Location||Kannur, Kerala, India|
|Coordinates||11°51′15″N 75°22′19″E / 11.854200°N 75.371811°E|
Location in Northern end of Kerala,India
St. Angelo's Fort was built in 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India on the Arabian sea coast about 2 km from Kannur town. It was attacked in vain by the local Indian ruler Zamorin and kolathiri in the Siege of Cannanore (1507).
In August 1509 Almeida, refusing to recognize Afonso de Albuquerque's as the new Portuguese governor to supersede himself, arrested him in this fortress after having fought the naval Battle of Diu. Afonso de Albuquerque was released after six months' confinement, and become governor on the arrival of the grand-marshal of Portugal with a large fleet, in October 1509.
The Dutch captured the fort from the Portuguese in 1663. They modernised the fort and built the bastions Hollandia, Zeelandia and Frieslandia that are the major features of the present structure. The original Portuguese fort was pulled down later. A painting of this fort and the fishing ferry behind it can be seen in the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam. The Dutch sold the fort to king Ali Raja of Arakkal in 1772. In 1790 the British seized it and used it as their chief military station in Malabar until 1947.
The fort is in the Cannanore Cantonment area. It is fairly well preserved as a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India. St Angelo's fort is a most important historical monument and a popular tourist attraction. Six Tourism Policeman are posted here for protection duty.
In 2015, thousands of cannonballs weighing several kilos were discovered from the Fort premises. The Archaeological Survey of India, which led the excavation, believes these were buried as part of military preparedness.
The Moppila Bay Harbor and Arakkal Mosque are near the fort. The fort is now well-maintained under the supervision of the Archaeological Survey of India. Tourists are allowed entry to the fort every day of the week between 8 AM to 6 PM.
Photo Album: St.Angelo's fort
- Spacious interiors
- Decorative Plant
- An ideal place for a rendezvous
- The Fort Gate
- The Cliff-like end of the fort
- Kannur Fort
- Kannur fort, inside view.
- The Grave stone of Dutch commandents wife and two children with Dutch inscruptions. The writings deciphered by a Tourism Policeman named Sathyan Edakkad
- The watch tower.
- The chapel inside the fort after the restoration.
- The stairway leads to the top of the fort wall. Note that the whole of the fort is made with laterite material.
- Remains of the early oil lamp lighthouse inside the fort.
- Inside view of the army barracks.
- Another view from the top of the Stable.
- The old entrance to the fort
- Entrance to the fort
- Kannur Fort and Arabian Sea.
- A Cannon at Kannur fort.
- Main entrance.
- View from the top.
- St. Angelo Fort, Kannur
- Arakkal Museum
- Cannanore Lighthouse
- Cannanore Cantonment
- Payyambalam Beach
- Meenkunnu Beach
- Muzhappilangad Beach
- Parassinikkadavu Snake Park
- Muthappan temple
- Thalassery Fort
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Angelo Fort.|