Democratic National Committee chairmanship election, 2017
The 2017 Democratic National Committee (DNC) chairmanship election will be held during the weekend of February 23–26, 2017, to determine the next chairman of the DNC.
Following the 2016 DNC email leak, in which DNC leadership appeared to favor Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential primary, Debbie Wasserman Schultz resigned as DNC Chairwoman, and was succeeded on an interim basis by Donna Brazile. Brazile announced that she would not run for a full term. The election rules indicate that an election will take place on or before March 31, 2017. A DNC executive committee meeting will take place in December to provide further procedural clarity into the race, though the election is tentatively scheduled to be held at the DNC's Winter Meeting in late February 2017. There are 447 DNC members, who are the sole voting members of the DNC, a quarter of the members are state level chairmen and vice chairmen, the remainder are elected at the state level. To be elected as chairman, a simple majority of 224 votes is required.
- July 28, 2016 – Debbie Wasserman Schultz resigns as Chairman of the Democratic National Committee; Donna Brazile appointed as interim Chairman.
- Mid–December – Meeting of the executive board of the Democratic National Committee.
- February 23–26, 2017 – Election tentatively scheduled to held by party voting members at the DNC's Winter Meeting (election must be held on or before March 31, 2017)
Calling for a return to the fifty-state strategy, Howard Dean, a former Governor of Vermont who served as chairman of the DNC from 2005 to 2009, announced his candidacy on November 10, then withdrew himself from consideration on December 2.
Senators Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, and incoming Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer have publicly supported Representative Keith Ellison of Minnesota, the co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus. MoveOn.org, led by Ilya Sheyman, has also expressed support for Ellison. In response to Ellison's possible candidacy, Dean stated that he thought it was important to elect a chairman who could perform the job on a full-time basis, rather than a sitting elected official.
South Carolina Democratic Party chairman Jaime Harrison declared himself a candidate on November 14. New Hampshire Democratic Party chairman Raymond Buckley declared his candidacy on November 29. Former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley said that he was "taking a hard look" at running for DNC chairman, but decided not to run.
Other possible candidates include Labor Secretary Thomas Perez, Representative Xavier Becerra of California, Representative Ruben Gallego of Arizona, Representative Steve Israel of New York, DNC Vice-Chair R. T. Rybak, and President of NARAL Pro-Choice America Ilyse Hogue. Former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm, once considered a potential candidate, took herself out of consideration.
- Raymond Buckley, chairman of the New Hampshire Democratic Party since 2007
- Keith Ellison, U.S. Representative from Minnesota since 2007
- Jaime Harrison, chairman of the South Carolina Democratic Party since 2013
- Xavier Becerra, U.S. Representative from California since 1993
- Ruben Gallego, U.S. Representative from Arizona since 2015
- Ilyse Hogue, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America
- Steve Israel, U.S. Representative from New York since 2001
- John Pérez, Speaker of the California Assembly from 2010 to 2014
- Thomas Perez, United States Secretary of Labor since 2013
- Joe Biden, Vice President of the United States since 2009; U.S. Senator from Delaware 1973–2009
- Martin O'Malley, Governor of Maryland 2007–2015; candidate for President in 2016
- Jennifer Granholm, former Governor of Michigan
- Democratic National Committee chairmanship election, 2005
- Republican National Committee chairmanship election, 2009
- Republican National Committee chairmanship election, 2011
- Prokop, Andrew (November 23, 2016). "How the DNC chairman election works". Vox. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- Gearan, Anne; Rucker, Philip; Phillip, Abby (July 24, 2016). "DNC chairwoman will resign in aftermath of committee email controversy". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- Seitz-Wald, Alex (November 10, 2016). "Could The Left Stage a DNC Coup? 'There Has to Be a Complete Restructuring'". NBC News. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- Easley, Jonathan. "Mystery surrounds DNC race". The Hill. Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Smilowitz, Elliot (November 10, 2016). "Howard Dean running for DNC chief". The Hill. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- Debenedetti, Gabriel (December 2, 2016). "Howard Dean drops out of race for DNC chair". Politico. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- Zach, Carter. "Harry Reid Endorses Keith Ellison For DNC Chairman". Huffington Post. Huffington Post. Retrieved November 13, 2016.
- Wagner, John (November 10, 2016). "Keith Ellison, Howard Dean offered as possible DNC chairmen as Democrats seek to regroup". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- Shuham, Matt (November 11, 2016). "Warren And Schumer Express Support For Keith Ellison As DNC Chairman". Talking Points Memo. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Saba, Yousef (November 11, 2016). "Howard Dean says Ellison can't do the DNC job and serve in Congress". Politico. Retrieved November 13, 2016.
- "SC Democrats' Harrison a frontrunner for DNC chair?". Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- Strauss, Daniel (November 29, 2016). "New Hampshire chairman jumps into DNC race". Politico. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- Strauss, Daniel (November 11, 2016). "O'Malley 'taking a hard look' at DNC chairman". Politico. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "O'Malley bows out of DNC race". Politico.
- Hensch, Mark (November 11, 2016). "Tom Perez interested in DNC chair: report". The Hill Latino. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Landa, Victor (November 11, 2016). "Latino Congressman Seriously Considering Run for Top DNC job". Newstaco. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "Sanders backs Ellison for DNC chairman". Politico. November 10, 2016. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- Debenedetti, Gabriel (November 11, 2016). "Fight erupts among Democrats for control of party in crisis: Battle to lead the DNC begins as progressives and centrists throw names into the ring". Politico. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Catanese, David (November 15, 2016). "DNC Race: NARAL President Weighs Bid: Ilyse Hogue would be the first woman to enter the race to succeed interim DNC Chairwoman Donna Brazile". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- All Due Respect. "Jaime Harrison Throws Hat in the Ring for DNC Chair". Bloomberg. Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Marinucci, Carla (November 29, 2016). "John Perez mulling run for DNC chairman". Politico. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Easley, Jonathan. "Dean drops out of DNC chairmanship race". The Hill. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Biden nixes the idea of DNC chair run". Politico.
- "Keith Ellison endorsements". Keith for DNC.
- Dumain, Emma (November 15, 2016). "S.C. Democratic Party Chairman Jaime Harrison launches bid to run DNC". The Post and Courier. Retrieved November 16, 2016.