History and architecture
The three-winged building stands on a narrow, rectangular mound surrounded by a moat. The original stone house from 1490 was extended by statesman Mogens Gøye with three new wings, forming an enclosed courtyard. A tower was added on the west side. In 1631, Palle Rosenkrantz built an extra storey on the north wing and an octagonal tower on the southeast corner. The south wing was destroyed by fire in 1689 and never rebuilt. The entire complex was renovated in 1780. From 1815 to 1838, Krenkerup was known as Hardenberg.
In 1731, the Reventlows established a family property consisting of Krenkerup, Rosenlund and Nørregård which in 1815 became the countyship of Hardenberg-Reventlow, including the subsidiary estates of Nielstrup, Sæbyholm and Christiansdal. It was dissolved in 1924.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Krenkerup.|
- Rhode, Peder Christian; Friis, J. J. F. (1859). Samlinger til de danske øers Laalands og Falster historie (in Danish). C. Steen. pp. 445–.