University of Michigan College of Pharmacy
|Motto||Artes, Scientia, Veritas|
|University of Michigan|
|Dean||James T. Dalton|
|Location||Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States|
Pharmacy was first taught at the University of Michigan in 1868 within the College of Literature, Science and the Arts. A School of Pharmacy, the nation's first school of pharmacy at a state university, was established on December 29, 1876, by Albert B. Prescott. As the first dean, Dr. Prescott introduced the concept of basic science education as a prerequisite to practical training for those pursuing a pharmacy degree.
Phi Delta Chi (ΦΔΧ) was founded on 2 November 1883 at the College by 11 men, led by Dean Prescott. The fraternity was formed to advance the science of pharmacy and its allied interests, and to foster and promote a fraternal spirit among its brothers, now both male and female.
In 1916 the school was renamed the College of Pharmacy. Today, the College is a member of the University of Michigan Health System, and is fully accredited by the American Council for Pharmacy Education.
The sisters Amelia and Mary Upjohn, daughters of the founder of the Upjohn Company, graduated in pharmacy in June 1871, just three months after the first two women to receive degrees at the University of Michigan.
Other notable graduates of the U-M College of Pharmacy include Josiah K. Lilly, grandson of the founder of the Eli Lilly Company; John G. Searle, grandson of the founder of G. D. Searle; Charles R. Walgreen, Jr., and Charles R. Walgreen III, son and grandson of the founder of the Walgreen chain of drugstores; and Gregory Peck, Sr., father of the actor.