Ruled successively by the Kaga ikki, Shibata Katsuie, and the Maeda clan, the capital of Kaga was Kanazawa. Kaga bordered on Echizen, Etchū, Hida, and Noto Provinces. It was part of Hokurikudō Circuit. Kaga was the last province under Provinces of Japan enactment system by 823.
Following the Meiji Restoration and the abolition of the han system in 1871, Kaga Province was renamed Kanazawa Prefecture. In 1872 Kanazawa was merged with Nanao Prefecture (the former Noto Province) to form today's Ishikawa Prefecture.
Kaga Province had 4 districts.
- Ishikawa Prefecture
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric and Käthe Roth. (2005). Japan encyclopedia. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. ISBN 978-0-674-01753-5; OCLC 58053128
Media related to Kaga Province at Wikimedia Commons