|— Hamlet —|
Man-made fishing pond, Larton
Larton shown within Merseyside
|OS grid reference||SJ238871|
|– London||181 mi (291 km) SE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|ISO 3166 code||GB-WRL|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
|UK Parliament||Wirral West|
Larton is a hamlet, located next to Frankby and near to West Kirby, on the Wirral Peninsula, England. The name is of Viking origin, deriving from the Old Norse Leir-tun, meaning 'clay farmstead'. Larton was formerly part of Newton-cum-Larton, in the West Kirby parish of the Wirral Hundred. Its population was 49 in 1801 and 44 in 1851.
Today, Newton is again regarded as a separate entity from Larton and is a district of West Kirby. Larton is now part of the Frankby parish, containing the majority of the population of the former township. Larton's name remains in geographical use with the Larton Livery riding school, Larton Farm and a "state of the art" veterinary surgery.
Larton lies on the western side of the Wirral Peninsula, approximately 3.5 km (2.2 mi) south-east of the Irish Sea at Hoylake, 2.5 km (1.6 mi) north-east of the Dee Estuary at West Kirby and about 9 km (5.6 mi) west-south-west of the River Mersey at Seacombe. The hamlet is situated at an elevation of about 20 m (66 ft) above sea level.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Larton.|