Slipway and promenade at Egremont, looking towards the mouth of the Mersey
Egremont shown within Merseyside
|OS grid reference||SJ317923|
|– London||181 mi (291 km) SE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|ISO 3166 code||GB-WRL|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Egremont is an area of the town of Wallasey, on the Wirral Peninsula, England. Historically part of Cheshire, it is bordered by New Brighton to the north, Liscard to the west and Seacombe to the south.
Egremont was considered part of the Liscard township until the 1820s, when expansion of Liscard was deemed significant enough that it should be split into two townships.
One of the earliest buildings in Egremont was the Liscard Manor House, also known as the 'Seabank'. Dating back to the 1790s, it was home to the influential Penkett and Maddock families. The area which grew up around Seabank was eventually to become the Mariners' home founded in 1892 by William Cliff.
The name of the area was decided by one Captain Askew who built a house in the area as early as 1835 and named the village 'Egremont' after his Cumberland birthplace.
Egremont Ferry was built in 1827 and was the longest pier on Merseyside until its dismantlement in 1946 due to a coaster having crashed into it, causing irreparable damage.
The MV Egremont, an ex-Mersey Ferry named for the town is still in use today, having been converted to a floating base for the Island Cruising Club, based in Salcombe, Devon to operate sailing courses from.
Egremont is in the north-eastern part of the Wirral Peninsula, on the western side of the River Mersey, about 2 km (1.2 mi) south-south-east of the Irish Sea at New Brighton and about 12 km (7.5 mi) east-north-east of the Dee Estuary at West Kirby. The area is situated at an elevation of between 10–35 m (33–115 ft) above sea level.
||New Brighton|| Seaforth Dock
(across River Mersey)
| Canada Dock
(across River Mersey)
|Liscard|| Bramley-Moore Dock|
(all across River Mersey)
| Central Park
|Seacombe|| Prince's Dock|
(across River Mersey)
Today three and four-bedroomed, largely working class terraced houses and semi-detached homes dominate Egremont. A small shopping area is located along King Street, the main road of the district. Egremont's river frontage is part of the promenade which, under various names, runs as an unbroken traffic-free pedestrian route from Seacombe Ferry to New Brighton, and is the best place from which to view the panoramic skyline of Liverpool.
The central point of Egremont Promenade is the site of the Egremont Ferry, reached from Tobin Street. For a number of years there was a building there known locally as 'The Beehive'. This building began life as a police station before the interiors and exterior panels were ripped out leaving only a brick frame and tiled roof. There was also a number of other structures which were probably part of the ferry buildings. Before their demolition in 1983, these buildings served as homes to a boat yard, the base for a motorboat club and also the infamous 'Davy Jones Locker' club. To either side of this minor promontory there is access to the sea-shore, which was very popular with locals and trippers for some decades after World War II. One of the most prominent buildings visible from the promenade is Wallasey Town Hall - now one of the administrative buildings for Wirral Borough Council. This large building is reached by road from Brighton Street, or via a lengthy flight of steps from the promenade.
Tobin Street with Church Street marks the boundary between the municipal wards of Liscard and Seacombe, the Church referred to being St John's Church at the top of Church Street on Liscard Road, just within Central Park.
John Tobin is known for the road Tobin Street, by the Egremont Ferry, leading down to the promenade. He owned from Tobin Street to Kinglake Road and between Wright Street, before the housing estate was built. He bought the land and invested to build the houses in Kinglake and Wright Street. His home was located in what is now Central Park. Before it was a park it was John Tobin's private land. When he died he gave the land to the community. By the early 21st century his house had become derelict and was subsequently demolished in 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Egremont, Merseyside.|
|Areas of Wallasey|