Square in Waalwijk with restaurants and church
Location in North Brabant
|Coordinates: 51°41′N 5°4′E / 51.683°N 5.067°ECoordinates: 51°41′N 5°4′E / 51.683°N 5.067°E|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Nol Kleijngeld (PvdA)|
|• Total||67.65 km2 (26.12 sq mi)|
|• Land||64.59 km2 (24.94 sq mi)|
|• Water||3.06 km2 (1.18 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||720/km2 (1,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Waalwijk (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈʋaːlʋɛi̯k]) is a municipality and a city in the southern Netherlands. It had a population of 46,495 in 2014 and is located near the motorways A59 and N261. The villages of Capelle, Vrijhoeve-Capelle, Sprang (the former municipality of Sprang-Capelle) and Waspik together with the city of Waalwijk form the municipality of Waalwijk. The city has an old town center, which has recently been modernized.
The city of Waalwijk
Waalwijk is a city in North Brabant that lies between Tilburg and 's-Hertogenbosch. Waalwijk used to be known for its shoe business.
Waalwijk is also known for an event in the city and surroundings: the "80 van de langstraat", held every September, in which a few thousand people make an 80-km walk through all towns that are part of the Langstraat region.
Some other events:
- Waalwijk Modestad (Waalwijk Fashion City): a weekend full of fashion.
- Nacht van het levenslied (Night of the "Dutch song"), where Dutch and local singers perform
- Straattheaterfestival (street theatre festival): a weekend full of street performers and theatre acts
- Waalwijk, townhall
- Waalwijk, church: de Sint Janskerk
- Waalwijk, view to a street: de Stationsstraat
- Waalwijk, pub in monumental house
Notable people from Waalwijk
- René Mioch
- Martinus J. G. Veltman (1999 Nobel prize winner in physics, born in Waalwijk)
- Frank van Mosselveld (Dutch Football player)
- Olcay Gulsen (Dutch fashion designer)
- Ariën van Weesenbeek (Drummer from the Dutch metal band Epica)
- Timo Somers (Guitar player from the Dutch metal band Delain, son of Jan Somers, with whom he has played in the Dutch band Vengeance)
Twin towns — Sister cities
Waalwijk is twinned with:
- "Drs. A.M.P. Kleijngeld" (in Dutch). Gemeente Waalwijk. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 5141PA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "List of Twin Towns in the Ruhr District". © 2009 Twins2010.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 28, 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-28. External link in
|Dongen, Loon op Zand|