Location of Elsmere, Kentucky
|Coordinates: 39°0′5″N 84°36′11″W / 39.00139°N 84.60306°WCoordinates: 39°0′5″N 84°36′11″W / 39.00139°N 84.60306°W|
|Incorporated||May 11, 1896|
|• Mayor||Marty Lenhof|
|• Total||2.5 sq mi (6.5 km2)|
|• Land||2.5 sq mi (6.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||919 ft (280 m)|
|• Density||3,256.2/sq mi (1,257.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0491746|
Elsmere is located at 39°0′5″N 84°36′11″W / 39.00139°N 84.60306°W (39.001475, -84.603116).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2), all land.
The community was first settled in 1885 as South Erlanger. Elsmere organized as a city in 1896, renamed after Elsmere Avenue in Norwood, Ohio, the hometown of one of its founders.
In 1998, Billy Bradford was elected mayor of Elsmere, the first African-American mayor elected in Northern Kentucky. He served 12 years (three terms), and now serves as a member of City Council. The current mayor of Elsmere is Marty Lenhof.
Regal-Beloit (formerly Emerson Power Transmission) and L'Oréal have facilities in an unincorporated pocket of Kenton County surrounded by Elsmere. The area has a Florence mailing address. Mazak's North American headquarters are in Elsmere.
Both the cities of Elsmere and adjacent Erlanger share a public school system. The following schools are shared by the two cities:
- Arnett Elementary School
- Howell Elementary School
- Lindeman Elementary School
- Miles Elementary School
- Tichenor Middle School
- "Summary and Reference Guide to House Bill 331 City Classification Reform" (PDF). Kentucky League of Cities. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Elsmere and Erlanger Historical Societies (Jan 20, 2010). Elsmere and Erlanger. Arcadia Publishing. p. 6. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Rennick, Robert M. (1987). Kentucky Place Names. University Press of Kentucky. p. 93. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- Regal Beloit closes on purchase of Emerson's power transmission unit
- L'Oréal USA's Florence Manufacturing Facility Honored with Governor's Safety and Health Award
- 2015 NKY 200
- Mazak expands, renovates in Elsmere
- Erlanger-Elsmere Public Schools Retrieved on 2010-05-05
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.