2008–09 Hong Kong First Division League
39th Hong Kong title
South China (group stage)|
NT Realty Wofoo Tai Po (group stage)
Tuen Mun Progoal 0–9 South China|
Mutual 0–9 Happy Valley
Citizen 7–2 Mutual
|Highest attendance||Fourway 1 – 2 TSW Pegasus, Kitchee 1 – 3 South China (4228) (16 November 2008)|
|Lowest attendance||Sheffield United 4 – 1 Mutual (90) (25 October 2008)|
2008–09 Hong Kong First Division League season (known as Coolpoint Ventilation First Division League for sponsorship reasons, Chinese: 快意空調甲組聯賽) is the ninety-seventh since its establishment in 1908. It began on 6 September 2008, and is scheulded to end on 10 May 2009. The unveiling match was contested by the defending champions South China, and the runners-up of last season Citizen. They made a 1–1 draw, scored by Sandro of Citizen and Detinho of South China.
League team changes
Teams promoted from Hong Kong Second Division League 2007–08
- Champions: Mutual
Teams relegated to Hong Kong Second Division League 2008–09
- Bulova Rangers (renamed as Rangers)
New teams in Hong Kong football league system
Teams changed the name
- NT Realty Wofoo Tai Po (named as Wofoo Tai Po before)
- Sheffield United (named as Lanwa Redbull before, from mainland China)
- Tuen Mun Progoal (named as Workable before)
||Pts||Qualification or relegation||Head-to-head|
|1||South China (C)||24||19||4||1||73||11||+62||61||AFC Cup 2010 Group stage|
|4||Fourway||24||12||6||6||38||17||+21||42||FOU 1–0 CSH|
CSH 1–0 FOU
|5||Convoy Sun Hei||24||13||3||8||39||32||+7||42|
|6||NT Realty Wofoo Tai Po||24||11||8||5||40||23||+17||41||AFC Cup 2010 Group stage 1||WTP 2–2 TSW|
TSW 1–2 WTP
|11||Tuen Mun Progoal||24||3||3||18||19||95||−76||12|
|12||Mutual (R)||24||2||2||20||22||84||−62||8||Relegation to Second Division|
|13||Xiangxue Eisiti (R)||24||1||2||21||12||81||−69||5|
Updated to games played on 10 May 2009.
Source: The Hong Kong Football Association
Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) head-to-head points; 3) head-to-head goal difference; 4) head-to-head goals scored; 5) goal difference; 6) number of goals scored
1 Since TSW Pegasus, the winners of Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield 2008–09, were competition members of the Hong Kong Football Association, and could not qualify for any AFC competitions, the winners of Hong Kong FA Cup 2008–09, NT Realty Wofoo Tai Po, earned a spot in the group stage of AFC Cup 2010.
(C) = Champion; (R) = Relegated; (P) = Promoted; (E) = Eliminated; (O) = Play-off winner; (A) = Advances to a further round.
Only applicable when the season is not finished:
(Q) = Qualified to the phase of tournament indicated; (TQ) = Qualified to tournament, but not yet to the particular phase indicated; (RQ) = Qualified to the relegation tournament indicated; (DQ) = Disqualified from tournament.
Head-to-Head: used when head-to-head record is used to rank tied teams.
|Home ╲ Away||CIT||CSH||EAA||FOU||HVA||KIT||MUT||WTP||SHU||SCA||TSW||TMP||XXE|
|Convoy Sun Hei||1–1||4–0||1–0||1–3||1–2||2–1||0–2||2–2||1–2||1–2||1–0||3–1|
|NT Realty Wofoo Tai Po||1–4||0–1||0–1||0–0||0–0||3–2||0–0||2–1||0–1||2–2||0–0||4–0|
|Tuen Mun Progoal||1–1||0–3||0–5||0–1||2–7||0–6||2–1||0–3||1–4||0–9||0–8||2–2|
1 ^ The home team is listed in the left-hand column.
2South China is awarded a 3–0 win against TSW Pegasus due to TSW Pegasus using more than the allowed maximum six foreign players at a time in the match.
Colours: Blue = home team win; Yellow = draw; Red = away team win.
- All times are Hong Kong Time (UTC+8).
- First goal of the season: Sandro for Citizen against South China (6 September 2008).
- First own goal of the season: Ma Ka Ki (Citizen) for Fourway (18 October 2008).
- Most goals scored by one player in a match: 4 goals – Detinho (South China) against Tuen Mun Progoal, 50', 60', 62', 69' (20 September 2008) and against Convoy Sun Hei, 4', 12', 61', 73' (14 December 2008).
- Widest winning margin: 9 goals – Tuen Mun Progoal 0–9 South China (20 September 2008).
- Most goals in a match: 9 goals
- Most goals in one half
- Most goals in one half by a single team
- First yellow card of the season
- First red card of the season
- Most yellow cards in a single match
- Most red cards in a single match
- Most consecutive games without conceding a goal
|Giovane||Convoy Sun Hei||18|
|4||Chan Siu Ki||South China||12|
|Ling Cong||Happy Valley||12|
|9||Hao Shuang||Sheffield United||9|
|Chao Pengfei||Happy Valley||9|
|Caleb Ekwenugo||Fourway / NT Realty Wofoo Tai Po||9|
|Christian Annan||NT Realty Wofoo Tai Po||9|
|Godfred Karikari||Happy Valley||9|
Only players scored ≥9 is shown.
Mong Kok Stadium and Hong Kong Stadium are the primary venue for the majority of the games. Some other stadiums also will be used, including Siu Sai Wan Sports Ground, Tai Po Sports Ground and Yuen Long Stadium.
NT Realty Wofoo Tai Po has successfully applied to use Tai Po Sports Ground for their 12 home games. TSW Pegasus also applied to use Yuen Long Stadium as their home ground, but the stadium's facilities and grass turf conditions could not be modified in time for this season. However, South China AA agreed to play away at Yuen Long Stadium on 5 October 2008. HKFA chairman Leung Hung Tak later claimed that three home games will be played at Yuen Long Stadium for TSW Pegasus this season.
Xiangxue Eisiti had suggested using a stadium in Shenzhen for their home games. But due to the poor quality of the facility, the HKFA deemed it unsuitable for the First Division. Its home games will now be staged either at Mong Kok Stadium or Siu Sai Wan Sports Ground instead.
|Teams||Number of times used as home stadium|
|Convoy Sun Hei||12|
|NT Realty Wofoo Tai Po||3||9|
|Tuen Mun Progoal||1||11|
- Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield 2008–09
- Hong Kong League Cup 2008–09
- Hong Kong FA Cup 2008–09
- AFC Cup 2009
- (Chinese) 快意空調甲組聯賽 – 天水圍飛馬非本地球員超額事件 Hong Kong Football Association official website
- "First Division League Top scorers". the Hong Kong Football Association. 30 May 2009. Archived from the original on 5 June 2009. Retrieved 30 May 2009.