|Chieftain of Kongu Nadu|
Statue of Dheeran Chinnamalai at Odanilai
17 April 1756|
Melapalayam, Erode, Tamil Nadu
31 July 1805|
Sankagiri, Tamil Nadu
31 July 1805|
Odanilai, Arachalur, Tamil Nadu
Dheeran Chinnamalai was one of the main commanders in the Polygar Wars, notably during the Second Polygar War that took place in 1801–1802. He was trained by French military in modern warfare alongside Tipu Sultan to fight against the British East India company and helped in victories against the British at Chitheswaram, Mazahavalli and Srirangapatna.
After Kattabomman and Tipu Sultan's deaths, Chinnamalai sought the help of Marathas and Maruthu Pandiyar to attack the British at Coimbatore in 1800. British forces managed to stop the armies of the allies and hence Chinnamalai was forced to attack Coimbatore on his own. His army was defeated and he escaped from the British forces. Chinnamalai engaged in guerrilla warfare and defeated the British in battles at Cauvery in 1801, Odanilai in 1802 and Arachalur in 1804.
Statues and memorials commemorating Dheeran Chinnamalai exist in Chennai, Tiruchirappalli, Sivagiri-Erode and Odanilai. On 31 July 2005, a commemorative postage stamp of Dheeran Chinnamalai was released by India Post.
Until 1997, Tiruchirapalli division of Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation was known as Dheeran Chinnamalai Transport Corporation. Until 1996, Karur district was known as Dheeran Chinnamalai district. Erode Municipal Corporation headquarters is named after Dheeran Chinnamalai.
- "Memorial of Dheeran Chinnamalai set for face lift". Times of India. 18 April 2013.
- K. Guru Rajesh. Sarfarosh: A Naadi Exposition of the Lives of Indian Revolutionaries. Notion Press.
- "Dheeran Chinnamalai statue to be installed in Odanilai soon". The Hindu. 10 July 2007.
- "Chinnamalai, a lesser-known freedom fighter of Kongu soil". The Hindu. 2 August 2008.
- Ram Govardhan (2001). Rough with the Smooth. Leadstart publishing. p. 212. ISBN 9789381115619.
- "Government to construct manimandapam for Sivaji". The Hindu. 26 August 2015.
- "Stamp on Dheeran Chinnamalai released". The Hindu. 1 August 2005.
- "Postage Stamps". postagestamps.gov.in. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- P. Jegadish Gandhi (1 January 1998). State Transport undertakings. Deep and Deep. ISBN 9788176290845.
- Records of Geological Survey Volume 130, Parts 5-6. Government of India. 1997.
- Viswanathan (2005). Dalits in Dravidian land:Frontline reports on Anti-Dalit violence in Tamil Nadu, 1995-2004. Navayana. ISBN 9788189059057.
- "In memory of a valiant Kongu Chieftain". Times of India. 5 April 2012.
- Dheeran Chinnamalai Gounder by Pulavar S. Rasu, Samba Publications, 1996
- Kongu Nattu Singam Dheeran Chinnamalai by Kavignar Magudam Manickam, Sakunthla Publications, 2001
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dheeran Chinnamalai.|