It was built in 1902 by the colonial administration of the Madras Presidency for irrigating the erstwhile South Arcot district. Stones from the ruins of Gangaikonda Cholapuram were used to construct the dam. It is situated about 70 miles below the Upper Anaicut and 20km from Kumbakonam. It has a shutter and sluice system that distributes the Kollidam water into various waterways. At Lower Anaicut, the Kollidam branches off into Manniar and Uppanai.
- W. Francis. Gazetteer of South India. p. 156.
- J. W. Bond, Arnold Wright (1914). Southern India: its history, people, commerce, and industrial resources. p. 288. ISBN 978-81-206-1344-7.
- R. Nagaswamy. Gangaikondacholapuram. 1970: State Dept. of Archaeology, Govt of Tamil Nadu. p. 17.
- "Renovation at Anaikarai bridge". The Hindu. 23 June 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Agriculture". Thanjavur district website. Retrieved 28 November 2011.