The church of Sankt Katharina
Location in Denmark
|Coordinates: 55°18′32″N 12°23′14″E / 55.30893°N 12.38726°E|
|• Mayor||Poul Arne Nielsen|
|Area(in Stevns Municipality)|
|• Total||250.19 km2 (96.60 sq mi)|
|Time zone||Central Europe Time (UTC+1)|
The town came into existence during the 13th century, and Saint Katharina Church (Sct. Katharina kirke) is also from that time. The town received privileged status as a merchant town in 1441. A Latin preparatory school was founded in the town in 1620, but was closed down in 1739.
The assembly house (Danish, tinghuset) in Store Heddinge was built around 1838 on the newly built Nytorv plaza as a combination town hall, assembly hall, and jail. It was built by architect Jørgen Hansen Koch, who was Director for the Royal Danish Academy of Art (Det Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi).
The water tower is from 1912 and is made of limestone, from nearby Stevns Klint, and red brick.
- Sankt Katharina Church
- Old town
- Hotel Stevns
Media related to Store Heddinge at Wikimedia Commons