List of twin towns and sister cities in Japan
This is a list of places in Japan having standing links to local communities in other countries. In most cases, the association, especially when formalised by local government, is known as "town twinning" (though other terms, such as "partner towns" or "sister cities" are sometimes used as well), and while most of the places included are towns, the list also includes villages, cities, districts, and counties with similar links.
- Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada
- Pengzhou, Sichuan, China
- Vanino, Khabarovsk Krai, Russia
- Barrhead, Alberta, Canada
- Elizabeth, New Jersey, United States
- Jinju, South Korea.
- Poronaysk, Sakhalin Oblast, Russia.
- Kushiro City
- Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
- Kholmsk, Sakhalin Oblast, Russia
- Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Kamchatka Krai, Russia
- Berndorf, Baden, Austria
- Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States
- Rutland, Vermont, United States
- Yantai, Shandong Province, China (26 October 1993)
- La Trinidad, Benguet, Luzon Island, Philippines (7 August 1992)
- City of Greater Shepparton, Victoria, Australia (3 March 1979)
- Reutte, Tirol, Austria (6 June 1991)
- Breitenwang, Tirol, Austria (6 June 1991)
- Jingzhou, Hubei Province, China (15 June 1991)
- Saipan, Northern Mariana Island, United States (22 September 2006)
- Fushun, Liaoning Province, China (15 April 1982)
- Townsville, Queensland, Australia (21 August 1991)
- Compiègne, Oise, France (20 October 1988)
- Anoka, Minnesota, United States (13 October 2006)
- Shaoxing, Zhejiang Province, China (22 October, 2010)
- Benxi, Liaoning Province, China (26 October, 2014)
- Cairns, Far North Queensland, Australia (15 May, 2005)
- Quzhou, Zhejiang Province, China (11 November, 1997)
- Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States (1 October, 1994)
- Manukau City, New Zealand
- Orléans, France
- Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
- Qiqihar, Heilongjiang, China
- Orvieto, Umbria, Italy (12 December, 1997)
- Birmingham, Alabama, United States (21 October, 1998)
- Menasha, Wisconsin, United States (22 August, 2005)
- Burbank, California, United States
- Lafayette and West Lafayette, Indiana, United States
- Yingkou, Liaoning, China
- Fraser Coast Region, Queensland, Australia (29 April 2007)
- Pasadena, California, United States (3 July 1993)
- Salem, Oregon, United States (1 August 1986)
- Offenbach am Main, Hessen, Germany (24 August 1983)
- Autun, Saone-et-Loire, France (18 October 2002)
- Anyang, Gyeonggido, South Korea (7 April 1998)
- Changzhou, Jiangsu Province, China (20 April 1992)
- Decatur, Illinois, United States (6 May 1966)
- Chiba (City)
- Duluth, Minnesota, United States
- Petrozavodsk, Republic of Karelia, Russia
- Woburn, Massachusetts, United States
- Bellingham, Washington, United States
- Fuefuki, Yamanashi, Japan
- Port Stephens, New South Wales, Australia
- Siheung, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea (7 November, 2006)
- Tai'an, Shandong Province, China (23 September, 2006)
- Kaohsiung, Taiwan (1 November, 2006)
- Independence, Missouri, United States
- Kashiwazaki, Niigata, Japan
- Suzhou, Jiangsu, China
- Boryeong, Chungcheongnam-do, South Korea (15 November, 2002)
- Kunming, Yunnan Province, China (5 November, 1981)
- Windsor, Ontario, Canada (2 December, 1987)
- Miami Beach, Florida, United States (5 March, 1959)
- Suwa, Nagano, Japan
- Pasadena, Texas, United States
- Paju, South Korea
- General Santos, Philippines
- Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes, Mexico
- Beijing, China
- Busan, South Korea
- Constanţa, Romania
- Dalian, Liaoning, China
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Hamburg, Germany
- Hanoi, Vietnam
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Lyon, France
- Manila, Philippines
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Mumbai, Maharashrta, India
- Oakland, California, United States
- Odessa, Ukraine
- San Diego, Calfifornia, United States
- Shanghai, China
- Taipei, Taiwan
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Sneek, Friesland, Netherlands (20 September 1970)
- Macon, Georgia, United States (10 May 1977)
- Lisse, Friesland, Netherlands (25 April 1991)
- Yalova, Yalova Province, Turkey (3 October 1989)
- Panjin, Liaoning, China (21 April 1992)
- Toyama (City)
- Durham, North Carolina, United States
- Mogi das Cruzes, São Paulo State, Brazil
- Qinhuangdao, Hebei, China
- Wellington, New South Wales, Australia
- Boston, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
- Columbia, Missouri, United States
- Penrith, New South Wales, Australia
- Zuhai, Guangdong Province, China (25 July 2004)
- Sanremo, Liguria, Italy (10 November 1976)
- Cascais, Lisboa Region, Portugal (2 July 1990)
- Jiaxing, Zhejiang Province, China (13 January 1989)
- Oceanside, California, United States (2 December 1991)
- Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, United States (22 August 1960)
- Beaverton, Oregon, United States (22 November 1987)
- Lishui, Zhejiang Province, China (12 May 1997)
- New Plymouth, Taranaki Region, New Zealand (29 April 1991)
- Pasadena, California, United States (24 July 1957)
- Yueyang, Hunan Province, China (5 April 1985)
- Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States (1 July 1963)
- Brienz, Switzerland
- Himi, Toyama, Japan
- Huzhou, Zhejiang, China
- Richmond, California, United States
- Hohhot, Inner Mongolian Autonomous Region, China
- Newport Beach, California, United States
- Uddevalla, Sweden
- Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic
- Pontiac, Michigan, United States
- Xuhui District, Shanghai, China
- Jerusalem, Jerusalem District, Israel (9 February 2000)
- Changshu, Jiangsu Province, China (12 may, 1989)
- Kyoto (City)
- Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- Cologne, Germany
- Florence, Italy
- Guadalajara, Mexico
- Huế, Vietnam
- Istanbul, Turkey
- Jinju, South Gyeongsang Province, South Korea
- Kiev, Ukraine
- Konya, Turkey
- Paris, France
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Qingdao, Shandong, China
- Valencia, Bukidnon, Philippines
- Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Xi'an, Shaanxi, China
- Zagreb, Croatia
- Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India
- Dalian, Liaoning, China
- Nakhodka, Primorsky Krai, Russia
- Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
- Qinhuangdao, Hebei Province, China (6 July 1987)
- Nelson, Nelson Region, New Zealand (7 May 1976)
- Delray Beach, Florida, United States (19 September 1977)
- Mitte, Berlin, Germany (12 August 1959)
- Glendale, California, United States (23 September. 1960)
- Yeongam County, Jeollanam-do, South Korea (March 1995)
- Changning District, Shanghai, China (December 1987)
- City of Logan, Queensland, Australia (March 2008)
- Lower Hutt, Wellington Region, New Zealand (16 July 1995)
- Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico (12 October 2003)
- Osaka (City)
- Budapest, Hungary
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Busan, South Korea
- Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Hamburg, Germany
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Milan, Italy
- Saint Petersburg, Russia
- San Francisco, California, United States
- São Paulo, Brazil
- Shanghai, China
- Valparaíso, Chile
- Moratuwa, Colombo District, Sri Lanka (20 July 1982)
- Bankstown, New South Wales, Australia (9 March 1989)
- Changzhou, Jiangsu Province, China (18 March 1987)
- Manila, Philippines (25 November 1979)
- Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia (13 November 1991)
- Barcelona, Spain
- Brisbane, Australia
- Daegu, South Korea
- Faisalabad, Pakistan
- Haifa, Israel
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Incheon, South Korea
- Marseille, France
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Riga, Latvia
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Seattle, Washington, United States
- Terni, Italy
- Tianjin, China
- Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia
- Jeju City, South Korea
- Kittitas County, Washington, United States
- Nara (City)
- Wakayama (City)
- Bakersfield, California, United States
- Jeju-do, South Korea
- Jinan, Shandong, China
- Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
- Christchurch, New Zealand
- Kansas City, Missouri, United States
- Sankt Pölten, Austria
- Zhenjiang, Jiangsu, China
- Deyang, Sichuan Province, China (14 October 1993)
- Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States (26 August 1991)
- Marilia, State of Sao Paulo, Brazil (29 November 1980)
- Bremerton, Washington, United States (20 August 1970)
- Marbella, Province of Malaga, Spain (6 December 1990)
- Jung-gu, Busan, South Korea (24 May 2015)
- Honfleur, Normandy Region, France (13 May 1998)
- Nanchang, Jiangxi Province, China (28 September 1990)
- Tours, Indre-et-Loire, France (3 June 1988)
- St. Petersburg, Florida, United States (5 October 1961)
- Sausalito, California, United States (2 February 1988)
- Lansing, Michigan, United States (12 April 1996)
- Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
- Sacramento, California, United States
- Pyeongtaek, South Korea
- Kōchi, Kōchi
- Fresno, California, United States
- Kitami, Hokkaido, Japan
- Surabaya, Indonesia
- Wuhu, Anhui, China
- Saga (City)
- Miyazaki (City)
- Boeun County, South Korea
- Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
- Waukegan, Illinois, United States
- Barrhead Town had a relationship with the former town of Tokoro. However Tokoro merged into Kitami city so the official status of the relationship is unknown.
- Friendship city
- Sister city of Niiharu which merged into Minakami in 2005
- Originally with Box Hill, Victoria which was amalgamated into Whitehorse in 1994
- Friendship port
- Partner city
- Sister port
- With Azumi, Nagano, which merged with Matsumoto in 2005
- With Shigaraki, merged into Kōka in 2004
- With Tsuchiyama, merged into Kōka in 2004
- With Makino, merged into Takashima in 2005
- Friendship pledge city
- Friendship and cooperation city
- Sister castle to Himeji Castle
- Cooperation city
- Vladimir, Russia recognizes Nara as one of its sister cities, while Nara does not.
- With Yamauchi, which merged into Takeo in 2006
- "Interactive City Directory". Sister Cities International. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- Sister cities of Vladivostok
- "Exchange Affiliates". Retrieved on 5 December 2008.
- "Massachusetts Hokkaido Association". Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "ソウル特別市との交流". Retrieved 2013-11-03.
- "Sister Cities and States". sapporo.usconsulate.gov. U.S. Department of State. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- "City Directory". Sister Cities International. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "The Russian presence in Japan" (PDF). webcache.googleusercontent.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2005-03-07. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- 札幌市 – 国際交流 – 姉妹都市 (Japanese)
- Sister Cities | International Community Bureau (Japanese)
- "Lexington Sister Cities Commission". LexingtonKy.Gov. 27 Oct 2014. Retrieved 2 Nov 2014.
- Carrel, Chris (11 March 2011). "Federal Way expresses concern for sister city Hachinohe in Japan earthquake" (Press release). City of Federal Way. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Krejci, Anna (22 October 2010). "Dells-Iwaizumi mark 20 years of sister city relations". Wisconsin Dells Events. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Help Otsuchi, a letter from our Mayor". Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- The State of Delaware. "State of Delaware". delaware.gov.
- "Sister Cities". Dallas-ecodev.org. Retrieved May 23, 2010.
- "Gwangju Sister Cities".
- "Twin towns and Sister cities of Minsk [via WaybackMachine.com]" (in Russian). The department of protocol and international relations of Minsk City Executive Committee. Archived from the original on 2 May 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- "Partneri- ja kummikaupungit (Partnership and twinning cities)". Oulun kaupunki (City of Oulu) (in Finnish). Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- "姊妹市暨友誼市". Tainan City Government (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 2013-07-01. Retrieved 2013-08-01.
- "Embassy of Japan in Moscow - Sister city relationships".
- 山形市の友好姉妹都市 [Yamagata City Twin Cities] (in Japanese). Japan: Yamagata City. Archived from the original on April 15, 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- لرستان و یاماگاتای ژاپن خواهرخوانده شدند [Kayhan newspaper] (in Persian). iran.
- "Sister City Organization of Palo Alto". Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "A Message from the Peace Commission* Information on Cambridge's Sister Cities," February 15, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- Richard Thompson. "Looking to strengthen family ties with 'sister cities'," Boston Globe, October 12, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- 友好城市 (Friendly cities), 市外办 (Foreign Affairs Office), 2008-03-22. (Translation by Google Translate.)
- "Rapid City Nikko City Sister City Association (RCNCSCA)". Retrieved 2 Nov 2014.
- ja:小山市#姉妹都市・友好都市 Reserved date 19 November, 2016
- ja:佐野市#姉妹都市 Reserved date on 19 November, 2016
- ja:前橋市#姉妹都市・提携都市 Reserved date 15 November, 2016
- "The Canyon News from Canyon, Texas · Page 1". Newspapers.com.
- Ruth DeShaw (18 April 1991). Minutes of the Huntsville City Council Meeting (PDF) (Meeting minutes). p. 366. Retrieved 2 Nov 2014.
- ja:高崎市#姉妹都市・友好都市 Reserved date 15 November, 2016
- Information of Higashimatsuyama City Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Sister City".
- 姉妹友好都市 [Sister Cities] (in Japanese). Saitama Tourism and International Relations Bureau. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "The City of Houston, Houston Office of Protocol and International Affairs".
- "Sister-States and Cities". International Wisconsin. 2010-02-04. Archived from the original on 2010-02-04. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Lei Municipal Ordinária nº 1688/1979 de Itajaí" [Itajaí Municipal Ordinary Law no. 1688/1979]. Leis Municipais (in Portuguese). Itajaí: Prefeitura do Município de Itajaí. January 26, 1979. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
LAW NO. 1688, FROM 26 JANUARY 1979 / ESTABLISH SISTER CITY, THE CITY SODEGAURA - JAPAN
- "Sister Cities".
- "Port Stephens Council".
- "Welcome to the Adachi Belmont Sister City Web Site".
- ja:八王子市#姉妹・友好都市 Reserved on 19 October, 2016
- "Sister Cities". Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Sister Cities (States) of Tokyo – Tokyo Metropolitan Government". Retrieved 27 Jul 2016.
- "Nashville - Nashville, Kamakura Join as Partners at Sister Cities Signing Ceremony".
- "Villes jumelées avec la Ville de Nice" (in French). Ville de Nice. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Friendly/Sister Affiliations of Kanagawa Prefecture and the Municipalities". Kanagawa Prefectural Government. 1 Mar 2011. Retrieved 2 Nov 2014.
- "Eight Cities/Six Ports: Yokohama's Sister Cities/Sister Ports". Yokohama Convention & Visitiors Bureau. Archived from the original on May 5, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "APEC JAPAN 2010 - Venues/Yokohama".
- "Frankfurt am Main: Yokohama" (in German). Stadt Frankfurt am Main. Retrieved 4 Nov 2014.
- "Partner Cities of Lyon and Greater Lyon". 2008 Mairie de Lyon. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- "Vancouver Twinning Relationships" (PDF). City of Vancouver. Retrieved 2009-07-18.
- "The League of Japan Sea Coastal Promotion｜Sister/Friendship Affiliation".
- "01-13-03 Oregon State Archives Copy - Governor's Office Press Releases".
- "Ghent Zustersteden". Stad Gent (in Dutch). City of Ghent. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Sister City Info - City of Berea". City of Berea.
- "Sister Cities(Overseas)".
- "Embassy of Japan in Nepal".
- "Shiojiri Niwa".
- Dariusz Nowak-Nova. "Warszawa - oficjalny serwis stolicy Polski". Archived from the original on December 6, 2008.
- "Nagoya Sister Cities Association".
- "Interactive City Directory". Sister Cities International. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- Sister Cities and Cultural Exchange City of Higashiomi. Higashiomi City Homepage. Retrieved on July 10, 2008.
- "Sister Cities by Country — Asia & Oceania". 1996 Directory (Directory). Sister Cities International. 1996. p. 24. in Berger (31 October 2002). Agenda, City Commission Workshop Meeting (PDF) (Agenda). The City of Aventura. p. 42. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "Traverse City Record-Eagle - News Story -- www.record-eagle.com".
- "DeWitt, City > Our Community > About our Community > Learn about our Sister City".
- "Lansing, Michigan". Sister Cities International. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- Shiga Prefecture (10 June 2013). "Shiga Prefecture's Sister States". Retrieved 4 Nov 2014.
- Cannon, Robert (2012). "State of the Township - 2012". State of the Township 2012. Charter Township of Clinton. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- "Edinburgh – Twin and Partner Cities". 2008 The City of Edinburgh Council, City Chambers, High Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1YJ Scotland. Archived from the original on 28 March 2008. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- "Peringatan 25 Tahun Sister City Kyoto-Yogya, Kedua Kota Mendapat Manfaat" (in Indonesian). Koran Tempo. October 6, 2010. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Saratoga and Muko, Japan, celebrate 30 years as sister cities". mercurynews. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Sister City History". Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- "Oakville's Sister City - Neyagawa, Japan". Oakville.ca. Town of Oakville. Archived from the original on 2009-08-28. Retrieved 2009-08-28.
- Lei Municipal de São Paulo 14471 de 2007 WikiSource (Portuguese)
- Osaka's friendships regions/states and Overseas Offices
- "Vallejo Sister City". Vallejo Sister City Association. Retrieved 2013-09-11.
- "Montebello, California". Ashiya City. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- "NIRA Policy Research Vol.15 No.12: Prospects for Japan-Russia Cooperation in a Post-September II World: Discussions from the Second Japanese-Russian Forum". Archived from the original on February 19, 2012.
- "Kobe's Sister Cities". Kobe Trade Information Office. Archived from the original on 2013-04-21. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- "Twin cities of Riga". Riga City Council. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- "Canberra's international relationships - Canberra's international relationships". www.cmd.act.gov.au. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- Vladimir, Russia. "Sister cities of Vladimir".
- "Australian town embraces Taiji again". The Japan Times. 15 October 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Wakayama City: English Language Resources Center".
- 友好・姉妹提携 Wakayama Prefecture official Web site retrieved May 16, 2008
- "2011 News Archive - Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council".
- "Santa Clara Sister Cities Association Izumo – Lifelong Relationships With People and Places".
- "Twinnings of the City of Hannover". www.hanover.de/ (in German). Presse- und Öffentlichkeitsarbeit der Landeshauptstadt Hannover. Retrieved 2014-10-13.
- "Friendly relationship at Official website of Volgograd". Volgadmin.ru. 1994-12-01. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
- Carro, María (August 1, 2011). "Molinaseca se hermana con una villa nipona" [Molinaseca becomes twinned with a Japanese village] (in Spanish). El Norte de Castilla. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- "The Twin City". Surabaya.go.id. Retrieved 2013-12-09.
- 姉妹都市交流 [Sister City Relations] (in Japanese). Fukuoka City. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Bordeaux - Rayonnement européen et mondial". Mairie de Bordeaux (in French). Archived from the original on 2013-02-07. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Bordeaux-Atlas français de la coopération décentralisée et des autres actions extérieures". Délégation pour l’Action Extérieure des Collectivités Territoriales (Ministère des Affaires étrangères) (in French). Archived from the original on 2013-02-07. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Guangzhou Sister Cities[via WaybackMachine.com]". Guangzhou Foreign Affairs Office. Archived from the original on 24 October 2012. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- http://www.city.kitakyushu.lg.jp/soumu/file_0233.html Kitakyushu Sister Cities. Retrieved 24 December 2013/ (Japanese)
- 長崎市. "Nagasaki-shi - sister city, citizen's friendship town summary".
- "Chapter 3: Comfortable and Meaningful Life". Living Guide Sasebo (PDF). pp. 88–89. Retrieved 4 Nov 2014.
- ""Sister City Introduction" Beppu City Official Web". Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "Bath's Twinning Associations". The Mayor of Bath. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- "Town Twinning". Bath and North East Somerset Council. Archived from the original on 27 October 2007. Retrieved 12 December 2007.
- "Lake County, Illinois International Sister Cities".
- 姉妹・友好・兄弟都市 [Twin cities] (in Japanese). Kagoshima City. Archived from the original on June 2, 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- Secretary of Public Relations. Outline of Naha (PDF) (便利). Naha City. p. 79. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
Naha has signed sister and friendship city agreements with Honolulu, Hawaii (U.S.A.), Sao Vicente (Brazil), Fuzhou (China), Nichinan (Miyazaki Prefecture), and Kawasaki (Kanagawa Prefecture).
- "Pesquisa de Legislação Municipal - No 14471" [Research Municipal Legislation - No 14471]. Prefeitura da Cidade de São Paulo [Municipality of the City of São Paulo] (in Portuguese). Archived from the original on 2011-10-18. Retrieved 2013-08-23.